Is this brown algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DavidZ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Low light setup with some DW and jave fern, anybias, moss.
55gl about 3yrs old.
No problems in the tank.

The java ferns look like they are starting to get brown spots all over.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 01a.jpg
    01a.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 585
  • 01b.jpg
    01b.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 98
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 556
Have to add, using NYC tap water, the lighting is 2 25W. for the 55 gl.
Was adding palin flourish half a cap 2 times a month.

Well it looks more like nutrient defficiency to be honest. But you have two problems. First your lighting isn't even 1WPG which would be considered really really low. The second is that you are supposed to does Flourish every couple days. Your plants are simply starved for light and nutrients.

Crypts and java ferns can grow in low light, but it is likely that you need to upgrade your lighting system to be able to grow anything in your tank. I see alot of things have gone wrong for the plants with the browning edged, yellowing near the veins and smaller leaves. All indicators of various nutrients not being present. It is possible for you to revive the plants if you begin dosing Flourish according to the instructions, and perhaps adding some iron and definitely imporove on the lighting.

There is a great guide written for planted tanks in the Freshwater Forums section. There is also a lighting guide that will be very helpful. Once you read up and have some ideas, I am sure that I or others could suggest sites and lighting fixtures for you to add to your aquarium as well as supplements for your plants.

How many plants and what type do you currently have in your tank?

About 6 dwarf Anubis, and about 7 java fern and a touch of moss.
I thought that it might not be brown algae, as some suggested, because of location.
light are on 1-12 hrs.
Tap water with WC every 8-9 days.
the main java fern is growing fine spreading all over, just the spots.
I was not planning to do any upgrades to the lighting.
I am open to maybe use something different then flourish if needed.
My tanks 55/65 are stocked well, with good filtration.
the only true algae I see is the spots on the glass in some places, nothing crazy.
Just got a BN, so what ever is not pucked up I remove.

I like to refer to this chart. It is really a great resource.
http://www.finostrom.com.gr/images/aqua/fertilizers/mapContentImagemap_Details.jpg

If you do not use a substrate for plants and just have straight gravel then your plants may be lacking access to nutrients. You can feed them by adding flourish comprehensive into the water. This will feed plants that get nutrients through their leaves and surface roots. However, some plants like your anubias are heavy root feeders. You can buy root tabs for those plants. A box usually has 10 tabs that you plant under/near the roots every 3-4 months. This is a simple way to supplement the nutrients.

As for lighting, ...I realize you did not plan to upgrade, but being as plants you have need 1.5-2 wpg to really flourish, you may wish to upgrade in the future should you find that they just always look sick.

I assume you are using incandescent lights, which are very inefficient for lighting so you are getting even less light than you imagine. Most incandescent light produces more heat than actual light. The light has to travel through the water to the plants. As you can imagine, not much is getting there. There are people in the classifieds occassionally looking to sell off older lighting systems as they upgrade as well as ads on craigslist. It might be worth it and a bit of a fun adventure for you to see what you can find within a budget. I think you will be happy to see your ferns lush and green again. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help!
My plants are in the DW, not in the substrate.
the lights are t8 fluorescents.

The plants you have take their nutrients from the water column not from the substrate. You should be fine with the gravel you have.
You said your lights are on 1-12 hours? 10 hours a day would be better. I recommend getting a timer to help with this.
Your lighting is low, but those plants will live in low light levels. I'd hold off on any upgrade at this point. Ditto for extra nutrient dosing. Get the lighting consistent and go from there.

Thanks Fisch, you think I should stick with regular flourish 2 times a month and keep the lighting period at 10. Sounds like it is about where I am now and what about the spots, let it go?
wait and see approach?
Do not change or increase the amount flourish used?

Thanks for your help!
My plants are in the DW, not in the substrate.
the lights are t8 fluorescents.

If your plants are in DW then flourish would be best. I do think you need to dose once or twice a week though. Since you have t8 lights...they should be fine for the plants you have. And since you have no algae issues, I don't think your light cycle is too long, even though I usually stick with about 10 hours.

See how increasing your nutrient dosing helps your ferns in the next couple weeks.

If you are already doing 10 hour a day with the lights then you can increase your nutrient dosing. Try dosing every week and see how that goes. You don't want to overdose because you'll just be inviting algae.

How old are your lamps? I change mine about every 6 months. That's one more thing to consider.

I change my bulbs every 6 months also.
What you guys are saying that what you see is not algae, it's not enough nutrients for the plants.
My tank is fully stocked, should have a good load for plants to use.
I do have a touch of spot algae on the glass in a couple places.
So plain flourish is fine, should not change it for something else, someone suggested go with Kens pro product for plants.

Thanks
David

You could try Flourish Excel. It provides a form of CO2 for the plants. Not sure on other nutrients differences from regular Flourish.

I change my bulbs every 6 months also.
What you guys are saying that what you see is not algae, it's not enough nutrients for the plants.
My tank is fully stocked, should have a good load for plants to use.
I do have a touch of spot algae on the glass in a couple places.
So plain flourish is fine, should not change it for something else, someone suggested go with Kens pro product for plants.

Thanks
David

I think you would notice if it was algea....you would have hair, or black spots, or blue green spots....things I think you would notice and ask about. Judging from your pictures, it definitely looks like nutrient deficiency.

Fish waste does not equal nutrients and a balanced diet for your plants. You are right to think that your plants are getting trace nutrients from fish food, breakdown of other materials and water changes...but certainly not provide everything that they need. Plants need iron and potassium and a whole bunch of other goodies. Most of what you need is in the Flourish Comprhensive. Most of the trace nutrients probably come in the excess fish food, water changes, and carbon from the plant respiration and gas exchange with the water. I would just increase the nutrient dose of flourish and see what happens.

Ok then, we will keep going with flourish.
Thanks again!

Newbie here.. Talking about Flourish.. Is this product safe for all fish and African Dwarf Frogs?
TY

Newbie here.. Talking about Flourish.. Is this product safe for all fish and African Dwarf Frogs?
TY

It is supposed to be safe, but I have two friends who attest that their dwarf frogs have died when they used Flourish and Excel in combination. One replaced his frog 3 times with similar outcomes. I could not say it it was Flourish Comprehensive or the Excel that caused the frogs to be sick, but there is room for caution. One might be worse than the other for frogs.

I use both in my planted tank with snails in it. They are unaffected, but I am not sure if the frogs sensitive skin make it more vulnerable. I would be cautious.

I once read something about mangrove, and the article said if the plants don't have enough food/iron, the leaves will turn brown.

this might help

Attachments

• plants guide.jpg
    plants guide.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 92
Back
Top Bottom