i've got it bad!--- the great excel disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WHOA! No one is calling you an idiot. These are VERY important posts for the forum, however, so that no one makes the same mistakes. A mistake is never something to be ashamed of or feel stupid doing!

If we all knew everything about this hobby this website wouldn't exist. I just wanted others to know that any chemical used, regardless of its intended use, CAN have unwanted consequences. We try to minimize those, but sometimes we word a procedure/method wrongly.

You have removed the fish, done a large PWC, and are monitoring your parameters (get that ammonia kit! :wink: ), your doing a good job of remedying the tank.

Absolutely don't get discouraged. I'm a newb here, and was considering an excel dip if my algae issue worsens. I was planning on doing the same thing you did (my thought was excel is expensive, why would I rinse it off and waste it). Thanks so much for posting the results of your dip. The comments have explained what happened, now I won't make the same mistake.

Waterpond - I know its a difficult time but (a) we all learned something here, so for that I know I thank you and (b) do NOT give up on your tank ! Your DP needs his/her tank back and looks forward to seeing your new creation and (c) when people offer things its not charity - its their heart wishing to do an act of kindness; we WANT to do it, otherwise we wouldn't offer

sorry water pond i will have to cut off my charity to you :wink: i will work on my tank and see if i can get some trimmings for u to restart. my l.repens is growing like crazy so i should have some spare soon. i have accepted many offerings from other members of this site and that is what allowed me to give u plants. just make sure in the future when your tank succeds to offer something back to the members. its what keeps the cycle going.

thanks for all of your kind words, i really appreciate them

Here is an update
-java moss turned to mush
-lilacina turned to mush
-crypts melted

I am also thinking that i have to re-cycle my tank(i will find out once i get my ammonia tested)

Thanks again for all your help

all of my crypts melted now and i dont think they are coming back, the roots are kinda mushy too. Christmas is gone too, i have a little clump left that didnt get dipped though. My anubias anan is gone too, turned grey today and started to get mushy.

WaterPond said:
all of my crypts melted now and i dont think they are coming back, the roots are kinda mushy too. Christmas is gone too, i have a little clump left that didnt get dipped though. My anubias anan is gone too, turned grey today and started to get mushy.

I would remove anything that has turned to mush, the odds of them recovering are slim to none, and they are probably rotting in your tank and releasing more ammonia. I can't believe that your anubias kicked the bucket, that is the literal tank of the plant world!

I would go out and get a bundle of fast grower(s) in the meantime to help keep your nitrAtes/algae at bay. I'm partial to wisteria since it looks nice, grows VERY quickly (I've removed it from my tank because I got sick of trimming all the time), and is very easy to see nutrient deficiencies.

I am going plant shopping this weekend! lol. Planning on a small val(jungle or corkscrew) so dwarf hairgrass, and if i can find wisteria i will get it. I have a tiny bit in there right now from a different tank and it is already growing like crazy. I will have a look around

WaterPond said:
I am going plant shopping this weekend! lol. Planning on a small val(jungle or corkscrew) so dwarf hairgrass, and if i can find wisteria i will get it. I have a tiny bit in there right now from a different tank and it is already growing like crazy. I will have a look around

If you've already got some healthy wisteria in the tank don't bother buying any. Give it a week and you can propogate 5-10 "plantlings", give it another week and it will take over the world!

is that 10-12" high or 1-2" high? Big difference there. I'll assume you meant 1-2" high, and would probably recommend floating 2 of the 4 since these plants absorb their nutrients through the stalk/leaves, the roots I don't believe do much except for anchor. I'd keep them under high light near the surface (ie floating) and they will explode if you have the proper ferts...

WaterPond said:
yes, thats what i meant, sorry for the confusion. I will uproot them right now.

Then once they get larger (5-7") or if they start to yellow/translucent you can "plant" them again.

Back
Top Bottom