Java moss as a ground cover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exactionfigure

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just received a ton of java moss, enough to pretty much cover the entire bottom of my tank so I laid it all down and spread it out and kinda pushed it to the gravel

I am curious if this is a good idea, how does it grow? will it take over my other plants if it's around the bottoms of them? is it ok that I'm not going to vacuum my gravel anymore?

here is a pic of it:
img_743305_0_79170cca2ebe9ccacf9eaa05bfd73b23.jpg

what do you think?

It will attach itself to anything in the vicinity, lol. As a ground cover, you may run into major algae problems. Also, any loose threads that wander in the tank will make a new home wherever it lands and start spreading there as well. Basically, where ever you put the stuff, it will attach itself and spread. My driftwood is now completely covered, and looks great. To help it, I recommend dosing Excel. It will help in the algae prevention, but not guaranteed to keep it completely away. Or if injecting CO2, then no Excel dosing is necessary.

As for gravel vacs, java moss isn't like other plants, it does not root. So cleaning the moss is necessary, and may need to pull it to gravel vac. But give it a shot and let us know how it goes. I've never experienced using it as a ground cover, so your future input will be valuable to us all. :)

Oh man....that's not what I wanted to hear:(

I was hoping it would work for a ground cover, since it looks so good
why would this cause major algae? I inject with c02 and I dose with dry ferts.

It sounds like this is going to be a huge hassle...just when I thought my tank was looking better.

I could have sworn I've seen people use java moss as ground cover before.

I was just posting my thoughts on what could happen. Don't think it's negative in any way. I would still say go for it, and keep us posted with your results. It may benefit others who want to do it and it turns out successful for you. Like I said above, I haven't done it myself, but know the complications that could happen with java moss, since I have it in my 26G on driftwood and a cave. And with added CO2, you may not have any problems at all. :)

Edit: Gives you the opportunity, if successful, to provide another good alternative to ground cover on AA. (y)

if you are looking for a low-light ground cover, i am having a bit of success with using crypts as a ground cover. it's slow, true, but they look nice even when it's thinned out, and i imagine they will look quite foresty when filled in. i have green and bronze variety wendtiis.

You can do it exactionfigure! It's fun to prove people wrong! (no offense, LWB!) ;) The only way we learn is by somebody trying something new. Your tank looks really fantastic. It's definitely worth the trouble it takes to figure out how to maintain it.

I agree :D it looks awsome as a ground cover. Looks like it my take a little more maintaining than other ground cover varieties, although this is nothing when put against the fact that your experiment will help you understanding and amny other that will follow suit if it works out well. ;)

Go for it and keep us all posted. I think it looks real good already :D

Ant

I think it looks good, I say give it a try. The worst that will happens is you wind up with a lot of moss to play with.

The tank looks great, I like your wood piece a lot.

Try it! Not everyone knows everything, and experimentation is the only way to discover new things. I think its a great idea with great promise. The only problems I forsee are (1) you'd need to buy a lot to cover the area you want covered as it doesn't grow outwards well and (2) it tends to pick up gunk and is harder to clean than other groundcovers (as its not as well rooted, and more likely to be suctioned up by a siphon).

You already have (1) covered, and (2) just requires a bit more care and attendtion when siphoning...

Good luck, and keep up up to date on how it works out!

yeah i thought about doing it for a 10g but then decide i want to make a wall instead, but i am very intrested to see how this goes.

Back
Top Bottom