Java Moss Pearling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
Don't ask me how I got this to happen. It's a 20 gallon tank with a standard fluorescent bulb. I did a water change and cleaned up the glass with a razor. The algae was coming in a bit. I added some Excel to try to keep the algae down, and then I saw this.

img_837328_0_77669448ae74eca8d1af3b3a3a5d1036.jpg

img_837328_1_c2dffacdcde72b56a0d114079f721113.jpg

I can't get my large tank to pearl ever and it's got CF lighting and Flourish dosing. Eh, go figure... I have video of the pearling too, but YouTube is acting up. I'm sure you can all imagine what bubbles coming from a pile of moss is like.

Very nice! I have gotten pearling before with just Excel and no CO2. Sometimes water changes create "false pearling" due to the turbulent action of pouring in the new water.

Depending on how long (or short) after the water change, this may be due to the dissolved gasses in the tap water you used to fill your tank back up.

Well, the tank was sitting for a good half hour before I added Excel. Is it still pretty likely the water is just releasing it's gas? It was only happening on the plants, Pearlweed included. There was nothing on the glass. I'm used to seeing that.

Total newbie here, looking around, want to set up a 55 gallon with both plants and fish ...

So I may as well ask:

1) What is "Excel" ?
2) What is "Flourish dosing" ?

Thanks!

In response to Flourish products, if you want plants, I'd go pressurized CO2 set up with dry ferts. I'm just using up my Flourish products before I go CO2 and dry ferts.

Back
Top Bottom