Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Java Moss vs. Willow Moss

I was reading about Java Moss and someone wrote something about Willow Moss. They're very similar, so they're often used interchangeably, but Willow Moss is meant for colder water conditions and Java Moss for warmer water conditions.

I would not want to use this in any of my tanks as I read that it takes quite a bit of pruning to hold it back from filters and engulfing decorations. I was thinking of putting it in my fish barrel outside. Basically it's a 100 gallon planter that I have some goldfish in right now.

I live in Southern California along the coast and it's been a cold winter. For anyone that doesn't know what that means, it means 50 degrees at night. Yes, I am a So Cal wuss, who is afraid of real weather. Anyway, that is about as cold as it gets. Would Java Moss survive at these temperatures? Since I'm by the coast it doesn't get too warm either. 90 degrees is quite hot for my area.

Basically I think one of these two plants would do well in the barrel for cleaning up some of the waste in the barrel and adding some oxygen. I'm just not sure if one is more appropriate for my weather conditions.

Please let me know. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

No one? Can anyone recommend references I can look at if no one knows here?

Thanks.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:51 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

PM Purrbox if she doesn't show up here

I think she has some experience with willow moss.

I have java moss in my tanks. I don't know how it would do outside, but in my tanks, it doesn't grow overly fast and clog filters or anything. It is a good nitrate remover.

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks. Will do.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Since everyone's pestering me about this, I'll get around to posting something.

I actually haven't tried Willow Moss and only tried Java Moss way back when I didn't realize I needed more than the standard light over my tanks to grow plants. As such I really can't give any definitive answers about either plant, especially in this application.

It's my understanding that most plants will do better in overly cold temps (as long as they don't freeze) than they will in overly warm temps.

If both plants are easy to get ahold of and fairly inexpensive, I'd try out both and see which works better. Otherwise I'd try which ever is easiest to get ahold of and/or the least expensive and see how it does first.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:10 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's definitely not freezing going on in Southern California here. I think Java Moss is going to be more readily available to me as it seems more common. I will go ahead and give that a go. It's supposed to grow like a weed from what I've read so hopefully it will make it.

Old 01-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxwell1295 Send a message via Yahoo to maxwell1295
Try this link: http://www.killies.com/Truthaboutmosses.htm

They seem to cover just about every type of aquarium moss that's out there.

125 Gallon Mixed African Thread, 75 Gallon Mixed Malawi Thread
maxwell1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh wow. Great resource. Thanks.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you will find that Java moss and Willow moss are very very different looking and behaving. Willow moss (Fontinalis antipyretica) has very large "leaves", up to 2mm each and turns a very nice bright green color. Java moss (Taxiphyllum barbieri, Vesicularia dubyana)on the other hand has very a very small "leaf" typically 1/2mm or so and has a much darker color.
There are many mosses that are similar to Java moss such as Taiwan moss, Christmas moss, or maybe even Weeping moss. Willow moss however stands out as being distinctly different from Java or any other moss.

Here a link to "the moss website":
http://www.aquamoss.net/

Edit: California has many native coldwater mosses. A hike in the woods will get you some cold water moss that is already adapted to your area.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezmo
Edit: California has many native coldwater mosses. A hike in the woods will get you some cold water moss that is already adapted to your area.
Can you explain coldwater to me? Most of the time it's 70-75 degree air temperature here.

Unfortunately I'm on the coast and hiking into the woods to find moss isn't what I really want to do. ****, I knew I should've gone with saltwater tanks.

Tags
java, java moss, moss

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com