kitty litter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hashbaz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I figured that the aquarium forum is the obvious choice to ask questions about kitty litter (LOL). I've never had a cat and don't know anything about litter. I'm planning to mix kitty litter with peat moss for a plant substrate. Do any brands have any additives that are harmful to fish? What is kitty litter made of? I'm guessing that the cheapest most "un-special" brand is the stuff I want. Thanks!

Kitty litter is essentially dried clay chunks in a bag. Most kitty littler does have stuff in it that will kill your fish in seconds, however the Special Kitty bradn at Wal Mart is fish safe. Having said that, do not use kitty litter, it can break down over time and turn into a freaking mess. You can get a bag of Schultz Aquatic Potting Soil for very cheap at Wal Mart and Home Depot. The stuff it designed for underwater use and is a fired clay, so it does not break down, or affect your water.

Also, using peat moss as a substrate would not be such a good idea either since peat affect your PH.

When we first set up our 55g we wanted to do a planted tank, so we bought the lights and made a substrate of clay cat litter with river stones on top. Of course, all our plants died as we didn't know about CO2, and all the low-light plants we put in were scorched to death.

Anyway, now we just have an artificially planted tank and when going substrate cleanings the cat litter is horrible. It clouds the entire tank to the point where I am occasionally worried for the health of the fish. And when it settles you essentially have a dusting of litter over all your decor- very attractive. :roll:

So yeah, go with the specially-made stuff, eh? :)

That special plant dirt won't work with a UGF, will it? I kinda doubt it, but had to ask anyway.

I have pea gravel as my substrate right now, and would like to do something more for my plants -- although they are doing OK, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom