Lighting a 125g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bageezus

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I am considering making my new 125 tank a planted tank. I currently have the tank setup with pool sand as the substrate. I am also looking into a light fixture. Its a 72" fixture with 4x 80W T5 HO lamps 6500K good enough for the majority of plants. Iv'e been in this hobby for a long time and have reef tanks, but have never ventured into planted tanks. I plan on running a co2 system if I go this route. Do I need more lighting than this? The light would be mounted 2-3 inches above the water level. Thanks!

What light fixture brand/model are you getting? Reason I ask is because not all t5ho fixtures are created equal depending on the quality of the reflectors. And...what bulbs are you planning on using? Same situation here, some are cheap and some like Giesemann bulbs are top notch, which would have an affect on output.

I think you'd be at least moderate to high light so it's good you're getting a co2 system as well.

Rivercats would be great to chime in on this one due to the fact she has a successful 220g high tech planted tank. If she doesn't, you should PM her.

Here's another great resource in determining what light intensity you'll be at, again depending on reflector quality and distance...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1038305#post1038305

Really the only fixture ive found so far is a 8x39 Watt AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture w/ 6 Lunar LEDs. A little more $$$ than I wanted to get. I have found aquatraders ones also. Much cheaper but then you get what you pay for.

Oh okay... aquatic life have very good reflectors. Go to that link and you'll find your answer.

I run the AquaticLife T5HO and Metal Halide on my 220g because it's 30" deep. But honestly on a 125 you would want the 8 bulb fixture. Does it have the built in timer? I know they are expensive but they are really quality fixtures IMO. I run Geisemann bulbs in the T5HO part of it and I love the light and have found those bulbs make plants and fish look really good and plant growth is also good with them. It would be perfect for running with CO2 and dry ferts. You could grow just about any plant you want.

I run the AquaticLife T5HO and Metal Halide on my 220g because it's 30" deep. But honestly on a 125 you would want the 8 bulb fixture. Does it have the built in timer? I know they are expensive but they are really quality fixtures IMO. I run Geisemann bulbs in the T5HO part of it and I love the light and have found those bulbs make plants and fish look really good and plant growth is also good with them. It would be perfect for running with CO2 and dry ferts. You could grow just about any plant you want.

Ya the fixture is right over $500. I know lighting is expensive. I paid over $350 to light my 28 nano cube reef tank. The bulbs would have to replaced and if I went with Geisemann im lookin at another $160 or so 660-700. Woo, gettin pricy not to mention a few hundred for a automatic co2 system. Any idea if any fixtures are sold with Geisemann bulbs?

None that I know of are sold with those bulbs. When I got my AquaticLife fixtures (I have more than one) I used the 6500 or 6700K bulbs they sent. Then when it was time to change them I got Geisemann bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom