Lighting advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mumma.of.two

Aquarium Advice Obsessed
I'm looking at new lights for my 70g and I'm wanting some advice on the best ones to grow plants My tank is 23 inches deep and just under 3 1/2 foot long. I'm currently looking at a light fixture of 4x 39w t5HO lights with individual reflectors. Is this too much light, not enough or just right. I don't want to have to buy any extra lights in the future so I need the right one now.

Any advice at all would be great!

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm looking at new lights for my 70g and I'm wanting some advice on the best ones to grow plants My tank is 23 inches deep and just under 3 1/2 foot long. I'm currently looking at a light fixture of 4x 39w t5HO lights with individual reflectors. Is this too much light, not enough or just right. I don't want to have to buy any extra lights in the future so I need the right one now.

Any advice at all would be great!

How dedicated are you to these plants? Do you have plans for pressurized co2 and ferts?

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm planning on using ferts and definitely looking into co2.

In that case the 4 bulb fixture would be a great light. I just recently bought a 4 bulb T5HO fixture for my 75 gallon tank. What light is it exactly (out of curiosity)

Mumma.of.two said:
Ok I've been doing a bit of reading and now I'm thinking the same fixture but one less bulb????

Ether one would be a great light. The 3 bulb would still give you tuns of plant options. With the 3 bulb you could grow everything but the most light demanding plants IMO.

fishfanatic said:
In that case the 4 bulb fixture would be a great light. I just recently bought a 4 bulb T5HO fixture for my 75 gallon tank. What light is it exactly (out of curiosity)

I'm in aus and we have a site called guppys aquarium products. It's from there and it's just a cheap no name one. Looks good for the price.

Mumma.of.two said:
I'm in aus and we have a site called guppys aquarium products. It's from there and it's just a cheap no name one. Looks good for the price.

The fixture I bought is also a cheap no name fixture, but it seems to work quite well. My only thought about this is that if you are going to get into a "high-tech" aquarium (ferts, co2, ex...) then you mights as well buy the 4 bulb fixture. I assume the fixture has switches to control how many lights are on at once? What is the price difference between the 3 bulb and the 4 bulb (unless price is not a problem for you). IMO if the 4 bulb fixture is not out of your price range then you should get it.

By the way welcome to AA! If you ever need any more help please don't hesitate to ask :D

Back
Top Bottom