Lighting and CO2 in 36G tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seagypsy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have my eye on this 36 gallon tank: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11677477&lmdn=Shape&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo
It would be an upgrade for some glowlight and neon tetras currently in a 10 gallon tank. I want to try setting it up as a planted tank with which I have no experience. I have a few questions I’d appreciate some help with.

1. Is the lighting that it comes with (24" 17-watt T8 full spectrum fluorescent lamp) enough for low light plants?
2. If not can anyone suggest an alternative, low budget light that would work on this tank?
3. If I have low light plants will a DIY CO2 system be sufficient in this size tank?

Thanks for any help!

The light that comes with it will be able to grow low-light stuff like java moss, java ferns, crypts, and anubias. If you want to grow more stuff than that, this is probably the most inexpensive light fixture that will let you grow medium-high light plants: Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting If you do stick with the light that comes with the tank, there is no need for co2, as the plants will not use up enough co2 for there to be a need for supplementation. However if you get the fixture I linked, you do want to inject co2.

Thanks! I will probably go with that light, I was afraid I'd have to spend a lot more to get a light. With that light do you think I need an acual CO2 system, as opposed to homemade?

You could do a pressurized CO2 tank or use liquid carbon such as Excel, API CO2 Booster, or Glutaraldehyde. I run a high light, heavily planted 220g tank using only liquid carbon with excellent results.

Back
Top Bottom