Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2006, 06:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

lighting for a 10g planted

i am starting a 10g planted tank and am thiking about having 36-50W over it? from what i gather this seems adequate. anyways, does anyone know of a good pc fixture for a 10g. i was thinking of 2 mini aqualights (36W) or the 20inch satelitte fixture (40W) changing the bulbs in it though would be an additional expense. thanks.

Old 03-21-2006, 07:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to nitrous Send a message via MSN to nitrous
if your gonna have that high of light you would need some sort of co2 and did you alkready buy the tank?

nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to ringfinger
I would go with the 40W satellite fixture rather than two of the mini aqualights. What kind of plants are you planning on? Co2 plans?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Please keep in mind that small tanks require more light to reach the various lighting levels. Based on some theory that Wiz~of~Ozz has been working on, 36Watts would probably give you Medium High light while 40Watts would give you closer to High light and both would definately need CO2.

I would also go with the Satelite fixture. A one time startup expense to replace the bulb isn't bad when compared to the ongoing cost of replacing bulbs in both fixtures. It's $16.50 for one 40W bulb versus $24.00 for four 9W bulbs. Two years and your even on costs and after that you'll be ahead on costs. In addition you get to enjoy having a moonlight on the tank. Plus I just like Higher Light tanks.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have 30W of NO bulbs over my 10 gal, and it behaves like a medium-high light. Some higher light plants never really flourished (like dwarf hairgrass, although it is slowly spreading)

Don't forget that 30W of CF is brighter than what I have. SO 40W CF might be INTENSE.

29 Gal Planted, 1.2 wpg, Estes Gravel
gfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Either light is adequate to grow plants, but you'll want a little more for "high light." To compare to Ozz's thresholds and established tanks, the 36w CF over a standard 10g is 14.3 lum/sqin and 40w CF is 15.9 lumens/sq in., both near the higher end of "moderate light." Great level to learn nutrients and CO2 with while growing cool plants.

Suggest the 40w Current fixture. You could grow a lot of plants with that light. Since its pretty narrow, you could later squeeze in another fixture for R. wallichiis and such if so inclined.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting, plant, planted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com