Lighting for a 2.5 Gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
I didn't know whether to put this in Getting Started or Planted, but I figured since the light needs to be sufficient for plants, I'd post it here.

I want to create a lush green environment for my favorite betta, Battle Weapon. I was loving the look of glosso and the likes of foreground (any reccomendations/easier foreground plants than glosso?)

But I've noticed it's sort of uncommon to see a 12"x6" light fixture. Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.

Is this going to be a sort of DIY project? Or is there a fixture out there?

Any help appreciated.

There aren't a whole lot of options out there for smaller tanks. The Catelina Fixtures are one of the few that I've seen and I've never gotten any response to my email about some of the details of their hoods. Coralife also has a 2x9watt fixture that you could DIY some legs or rest on top of a glass canopy.

Two common options are DIY or to use a desklamp. You'll probably want to shoot for 13-26watts, preferrably at the higher end to be able to grow a nice foreground carpet. Of course at the higher end you'll need to be really on top of both the ferts and CO2 needs of the tank.

As far as DIY, here is a simple solution that I came up with for my tank. I bought a pair of Bayco 13 Watt Work Lights (which happen to come with 6700K bulbs), some zip ties with mounting loops, 4 S hooks, and a plastic kitchen shelf. The kitchen shelf was the perfect size that I could bend the legs out slightly and they would rest on the four corners of the aquarium. I then fastened the mounting cable ties around both ends of the work lights, and used the S hooks to hang them from the kitchen shelf by the mounting loops. If you go to the 4th page of my 2.5 gallon log, you'll see a picture of the lighting setup near the bottom.

I use an Azoo Palm Light. They have one long enough to fit over a 2.5. Its 13 watts, which has been enough to grow everything I've wanted so far. I don't know about glosso, but I do have a foreground plant (E. triandra) that's growing well. The only drawback is that its for rimless tanks so it wouldn't clamp onto the tank itself, but I rigged up a little stand for it.

maxwell1295 - do you have this fixture over a planted tank? The 12K bulb is not usually thought of as optimal for a planted tank. But the size and wattage are right!

Well this got me thinknig. Would any ol' lamp work?

If it had a 15 Watt bulb or something?

I'm assuming fluorescent would be better then the yellowy normal bulbs?

u would have to use a screw in compact flourescent bulb. and wattage u would like as long as it is atleast 6500k. i personally like the mini CF lamps u can buy. i got mine at a store for 14 dollars and it came with a 13 watt bulb. very bright and its adjustable to bend over and tank u want.

Both Incadescent and Halogen lamps put out more heat than light, so you'd want to avoid those. However if your lamp has a Power Compact, NO Flourescent, or you can use a screw in Compact Flourescent bulb, then the lamp should work fine. Lamps that are designed to illuminate a work area would be better than those to help light up the room, since they would do a better job of getting most of the light into the tank.

An t-iasg said:
maxwell1295 - do you have this fixture over a planted tank? The 12K bulb is not usually thought of as optimal for a planted tank. But the size and wattage are right!
Yes, all of the Odyssea units have 12,000K bulbs. My 46G bowfront and 7G minibow both have these fixtures, as does my 55G Mbuna tank. My plants have been growing really well with them...

I just bought this for my 2.5 gallon Betta tank which I am making a custom canopy for.
www.hellolights.com/9watbalkit.html

This also comes with their 13 watt lamp. I am only growing java fern and crypt wendtii, so I thought the 13 watt would be a bit much, but maybe no difference at all. I just figured with the 9 watt I am at roughly 3.5 w/p/g instead of a bit over 5. This fixture will now be mounted higher than if I sat a lamp directly on the glass lid, as well. Color temp is 6,700K on either lamp, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom