lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new to the scene

Aquarium Advice Regular
i got these 2 zoo-med t-5 HO fixtures hanging around was thinking about putting this over my 37 heavily planted tank. i know i will need co2 was planning on running two of there plant bulbs 1 day light and 1 10k. i really like the look of really bright tanks. they wont be on the tank its self but hanging instead. This brings me to my other question, has anybody ever hanged these and if so what did you use.

if 2 zoo-med light fixtures will be to much light on a 37 gal 22in in hight from top of substrate. it will have to plant bulbs,1 67k day and 1 super day 100k

Wait, so you've got TWO 2x24w T5HO fixtures? Thats a borderline rediculus amount of light, and well into obligatory CO2. I have about 3 wpg T5HO over a 40 breeder lifted about 22 inches over the substrate, and thats 3x39 over a wide tank like a breeder. Four bulbs on a narrow tank is almost reef worthy.

Regarding hanging the fixtures, you can use hooks and light chain which can be found at places like Lowe's or Home Depot and hang them from the ceiling.

To attach the chain to the fixture you can use a small eyebolt (not the screws) with a nut and washers. Drill a small hole where you want to attach the eyebolt and attach them securely. The chain links should bend enough to place the eyebolt into the link and then bend back to lock it into place.

Make sure the hooks in the ceiling go into the roof joists, not just into the sheetrock or whatever you have on the ceiling. Otherwise, the fixtures could fall.

Another option is to use plant pot hangers attached to the wall (if you can find some long enough), again suspending the lights from the hangers using chain and eyebolts and using rings instead of hooks. Be sure to attach the hangers into the wall studs for security.

Yet another option is to build a mount that stands on the floor and goes over the tank. You can attach the lights to the frame, plus this gives you the added bonus of being able to secure the wiring to the frame as well. It also doesnt put holes in the wall or ceiling which would have to be patched if you relocate the tank.

Retired_AF said:
Regarding hanging the fixtures, you can use hooks and light chain which can be found at places like Lowe's or Home Depot and hang them from the ceiling.

To attach the chain to the fixture you can use a small eyebolt (not the screws) with a nut and washers. Drill a small hole where you want to attach the eyebolt and attach them securely. The chain links should bend enough to place the eyebolt into the link and then bend back to lock it into place.

Make sure the hooks in the ceiling go into the roof joists, not just into the sheetrock or whatever you have on the ceiling. Otherwise, the fixtures could fall.

Another option is to use plant pot hangers attached to the wall (if you can find some long enough), again suspending the lights from the hangers using chain and eyebolts and using rings instead of hooks. Be sure to attach the hangers into the wall studs for security.

Yet another option is to build a mount that stands on the floor and goes over the tank. You can attach the lights to the frame, plus this gives you the added bonus of being able to secure the wiring to the frame as well. It also doesnt put holes in the wall or ceiling which would have to be patched if you relocate the tank.

Thanks for all the option I was planning on a route like the pot hanging one. If I didn't find a stud, I was planning on trying the heavy hanging bolts. Not sure of the name but it said to use when no stud is found.

aqua_chem said:
Wait, so you've got TWO 2x24w T5HO fixtures? Thats a borderline rediculus amount of light, and well into obligatory CO2. I have about 3 wpg T5HO over a 40 breeder lifted about 22 inches over the substrate, and thats 3x39 over a wide tank like a breeder. Four bulbs on a narrow tank is almost reef worthy.

You are correct it's 2 zoo med fixtures 48 watt each. 48+48=96 the plan was to have them ganging from the roof back to back I have one on it right now, and it seems to be high light top and middle tank. I dose sachem carbon,potassium, and micro from sachem have it "all most heavily planted" I would say. The reason I want to try to is to have high light towards the bottom for a carpet attempt my micro sword is running it runners kind slow and I have always wanted to try baby tears and yea co2 is in the way

Most carpets are going to take time to grow. They shouldn't be rushed.

What are the dimensions of your tank?

Back
Top Bottom