Lights, CO2 and fertiliser advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach88

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all. I'm currently new to plants but I'm planning on eventually having my aquarium heavily planted. I have a juwel rio 180 litre aquarium (101 x 41 x 50cm) Which is lightly planted with some vallis, water sprite, juncus repens and 3 other plants I'm unsure of the name of. The lights I currently have are juwel high lite day and nature, info on them is here:
http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/a...s/juwel-high-lite-tube-day-438mm-24-watt.html
http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/a...uwel-high-lite-tube-nature-438mm-24-watt.html

I have the 45watt ones.
So my questions are: are my lights good enough or will I need to replace them? If so suggestions on bulbs?
I believe for a heavily planted tank I'd need to dose fertiliser and CO2 but I have no idea where to start with this. I've read numerous posts on ferts and CO2 but it's all turned my brain to mush so I need help please :( what kind of things should i be looking for in a CO2 system and fertiliser? what's a good CO2 system and fertiliser to use? Any help will be greatly appreciated

Rach88 said:
Hi all. I'm currently new to plants but I'm planning on eventually having my aquarium heavily planted. I have a juwel rio 180 litre aquarium (101 x 41 x 50cm) Which is lightly planted with some vallis, water sprite, juncus repens and 3 other plants I'm unsure of the name of. The lights I currently have are juwel high lite day and nature, info on them is here:
http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aquarium-supplies/fish-tank-equipment/aquarium-lighting/fluorescent-t5-light-tubes/juwel-high-lite-tube-day-438mm-24-watt.html

I have the 45watt ones.
So my questions are: are my lights good enough or will I need to replace them? If so suggestions on bulbs?
I believe for a heavily planted tank I'd need to dose fertiliser and CO2 but I have no idea where to start with this. I've read numerous posts on ferts and CO2 but it's all turned my brain to mush so I need help please :( what kind of things should i be looking for in a CO2 system and fertiliser? what's a good CO2 system and fertiliser to use? Any help will be greatly appreciated

I'd guess you're probably a med/high light tank. I know with the T5HO the typical WPG rule doesn't really apply. Those bulbs should be fine. When the time comes to replace them i would recommend Giesemann bulbs if you can get them.

As far as ferts and CO2 go, I personally use the dry fert package from Green Leaf Aquariums and Milwaukee brand regulator, solenoid, bubble counter, and PH controller with a 5# CO2 tank. The Milwaukee brand equipment seems to be a good bang for your buck. A lot of people like them and i have no reason to complain :)

I also use the ferts from Green Leaf Aquariums. I go with the PPS-Pro system for mixing and dosing their fertilizer package. For CO2 I use a Red Sea regulator and solenoid with a Milwaukee PH controller. The Milwaukee regulator and solenoid is probably a better deal, though.

36" 45w bulbs are T12 I believe, not T5HO. Check on the bulb, it should say somewhere (something like F36T12).

Light leads to CO2 and fert demand. Without the light, there's not as much of a demand for CO2, and therefore it wouldn't be as necessary.

aqua_chem said:
36" 45w bulbs are T12 I believe, not T5HO. Check on the bulb, it should say somewhere (something like F36T12).

Pretty sure he has HOs if they're running at 45w although to be T5HOs they should be 39w. Not sure what he has.

This is from the link the OP posted.

------------------------------------------------

"High-Lite refers to the new light technology by Juwel Aquarium. It combines the existing tube lengths of the T8 with new brighter technology.

High-Lite Day tube creates a cool and bright light with a colour temperature of 9000 Kelvin. It enhances natural colours and plant growth.

For Freshwater we recommend following combinations: Day + Nature or Day + Colour.

The 895 mm / 45 Watt High-Lite Tube can be used in a 92 cm light unit. Following aquariums can be fitted with this Tube: Rio� 180 and Trigon� 350 (front light unit).

High-Lite Tube Day 45 W (895 mm)"

-------------------------------------------------

As these lights seem to be a new proprietary technology you may just have to see how well they preform. Still, you should have enough light for medium light plants with that fixture. If the technology is excellent you could get high light plants to grow. I've never seen them used so can't say anything for certain. They don't make the claim to be comparable to T5s but to T8s so they likely don't have the PAR of T5HOs. They don't provide much info about the lights on that link as far as spectrum or lumens. Humm...

As these lights seem to be a new proprietary technology you may just have to see how well they preform. Still, you should have enough light for medium light plants with that fixture. If the technology is excellent you could get high light plants to grow. I've never seen them used so can't say anything for certain. They don't make the claim to be comparable to T5s but to T8s so they likely don't have the PAR of T5HOs. They don't provide much info about the lights on that link as far as spectrum or lumens. Humm...

They appear to be a proprietary T5HO lamp. Other websites call them a high output T5. The reference to the T8 was only in comparison to the length of the bulbs.

They're not T5HO if they're not running at 39w with 36". To my knowledge, that's just a fact of the technology. I just googled 45w 36" Fluorescent and came up with T12s. I believe that T12s and T8s give off the same amount of light, but T8s are more efficient.

It might be some sort of a weird T8HO, or an overdriven T8. Whenever a company plays the proprietary technology card, there claim is usually largely BS (see Seachem and Excel). If they're T5HO, why don't they call it that and use name recognition that goes with T5 technology? Probably because it's not actually T5 level technology, and they're trying to smokescreen it.

Wow thanks for all the replies everyone! The bulbs are 16mm diameter 895mm length, listed as T5's If that helps any. Can't look at what's written on the bulbs ATM as I'm at the hospital with my son. I'm planning on replacing the bulbs and light unit once they've run a year anyway and for now my plants have been growing very well with them. Also ive found some reflectors made to fit the light unit i have, would they make a marginal difference and be worth getting?
With regards to the CO2 systems and fertilisers I'll be looking around later this week for the ones mentioned to see if they're available and if not I'll post what systems etc that are and see what you guys think. Again thanks for your help everyone really appreciate it :)

I believe those are just regular T5's, not T5HO's. I'd recommend the MA957 regulator. I've used one for a while and never had any problems with it. I tried using ladder, glass/ceramic diffusers, and ended up having the best results with the Red Sea 500 reactor. The only downside with it is that you'll have a power cord going into your tank. It really dissolved the CO2 efficiently though.

I used AquariumFertilizer.com and got more than enough ferts for a year for $36 shipped. I even got a pound of Barr's GH Booster.

I too used PPS-Pro but used autodosers to actually do the dosing. I have a build thread in the DIY section if you search. I could get about 2 weeks (15-17 days) of dosing out of the containers I used.

meegosh said:
I believe those are just regular T5's, not T5HO's. I'd recommend the MA957 regulator. I've used one for a while and never had any problems with it. I tried using ladder, glass/ceramic diffusers, and ended up having the best results with the Red Sea 500 reactor. The only downside with it is that you'll have a power cord going into your tank. It really dissolved the CO2 efficiently though.

I used AquariumFertilizer.com and got more than enough ferts for a year for $36 shipped. I even got a pound of Barr's GH Booster.

I too used PPS-Pro but used autodosers to actually do the dosing. I have a build thread in the DIY section if you search. I could get about 2 weeks (15-17 days) of dosing out of the containers I used.

Thank you for the info, that being the case i should be ok with at least low-medium light plants for now before I upgrade my lighting next year right?
I'll have a look online at what you've suggested :) sadly I'm in UK and it's $18 shipping from aquariumfertilizer.com... Which is a bit much, so I'll have to check round for a seller a bit closer to home lol
Thanks I'll do a search for your thread later this evening and have a look :)

Rach88 said:
... for now my plants have been growing very well with them.

What else matters other than that? This hobby is result driven. If your plants are growing well then your lights are probably fine. I'm not suggesting that you don't change out your fixture if you aren't pleased with the one you have, but if you like your lights and they grow all of your plants why change what isn't broken? Adding CO2 is always a benefit, though.

CorallineAlgae said:
What else matters other than that? This hobby is result driven. If your plants are growing well then your lights are probably fine. I'm not suggesting that you don't change out your fixture if you aren't pleased with the one you have, but if you like your lights and they grow all of your plants why change what isn't broken? Adding CO2 is always a benefit, though.

I see what you're saying, however although my plants are growing and spreading they are showing signs of deficiencies and I'm also experiencing some algae problems (i'd like to add that my tank is not in direct sunlight). I've cut down the amount of time my lights are on by half and I've been cleaning the algae off manually so for that it's just a wait and see how things go. But with my plants showing deficiencies I figure I would need ferts at least. Obviously I'm new to having plants which is why I'm asking you fine people for advice and suggestions :)

It sounds like nutrient deficiencies so getting on a good fertilizer regimen is likely to solve the issue. A good CO2 regulator should be easy to find. If you're having trouble finding a good source for dry ferts you could always use an easy to find liquid plant fert until you do locate a source. How are your nitrates? Everybody has different deficiencies in their systems but it was a struggle for me to get enough nitrate into my aquarium. If that's not an issue for you then, in addition to CO2, you may find that flourish comprehensive and iron could help for both your plants and algae issues until you can switch to dry ferts.

CorallineAlgae said:
It sounds like nutrient deficiencies so getting on a good fertilizer regimen is likely to solve the issue. A good CO2 regulator should be easy to find. If you're having trouble finding a good source for dry ferts you could always use an easy to find liquid plant fert until you do locate a source. How are your nitrates? Everybody has different deficiencies in their systems but it was a struggle for me to get enough nitrate into my aquarium. If that's not an issue for you then, in addition to CO2, you may find that flourish comprehensive and iron could help for both your plants and algae issues until you can switch to dry ferts.

These were my thoughts too. Depending on my sons health I'll start searching for sources online tonight and I'll be checking at my LFS next week also. My nitrates tested at 5ppm yesterday and i have yet to test today. I have a low bio load in my tank currently (only 6 lemon tetras 1 nerite and also a few pond snails which came in on plants) tap water has 10-20ppm nitrates. Obviously I'm going to slowly increase my fish numbers and in turn the nitrate will increase I know. Also my current filter (built in juwel 3.0 600 I believe if I remember correctly) has two nitrate removal sponges. Ive thought about removing these sponges and replacing them with normal foam sponges but I haven't had a chance over the last few days. Obviously if nitrate deficiency was my only issue and removing these sponges and upping my bioload corrected it then I probably wouldn't need ferts, however I'm also seeing what I believe is magnesium and iron deficiency which Is why I believe I do need ferts. Sorry for the long post lol

I think the Ferts and CO2 will work wonders for your tank. I would go with those for now and hold off on changing the lights until you try getting everything stabilized. With more light comes more need for CO2. :)

skywhitney said:
I think the Ferts and CO2 will work wonders for your tank. I would go with those for now and hold off on changing the lights until you try getting everything stabilized. With more light comes more need for CO2. :)

Thanks :) I won't be changing the lights until they've been in use for a year anyway so all good on letting things stabilise.

I'm getting a little confused with the ferts, been searching today and found a cheap UK site that sells dry ferts, but there's no complete package in the dry ferts If that makes sense.. Has ascorbic acid, calcium nitrate, chelated iron, magnesium nitrate, potassium nitrate, magnesium sulphate, potassium phosphate and potassium sorbate all separate. I know I'll need one of the items with nitrate in I'm having problems deciding exactly which of these products I need (I was never great with chemistry in school :S ) I have a nitrate deficiency and almost certainly an iron, phosphate and possibly a magnesium deficiency. Any help or advice please?

Thanks :) I won't be changing the lights until they've been in use for a year anyway so all good on letting things stabilise.

I'm getting a little confused with the ferts, been searching today and found a cheap UK site that sells dry ferts, but there's no complete package in the dry ferts If that makes sense.. Has ascorbic acid, calcium nitrate, chelated iron, magnesium nitrate, potassium nitrate, magnesium sulphate, potassium phosphate and potassium sorbate all separate. I know I'll need one of the items with nitrate in I'm having problems deciding exactly which of these products I need (I was never great with chemistry in school :S ) I have a nitrate deficiency and almost certainly an iron, phosphate and possibly a magnesium deficiency. Any help or advice please?

Typically, people purchase:

Plantex CSM+B
Potassium Nitrate KN03
Monopotassium Phosphate KH2PO4
Potassium Sulfate K2S04

These are the ferts for EI and I believe PPS-pro as well. (PPS-pro also uses Epsom salt, MgSO4)

There are many alternatives to the listed ferts, but those are the typical ones used in the US.

Back
Top Bottom