Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Lights, CO2 and fertiliser advice

Hi all. I'm currently new to plants but I'm planning on eventually having my aquarium heavily planted. I have a juwel rio 180 litre aquarium (101 x 41 x 50cm) Which is lightly planted with some vallis, water sprite, juncus repens and 3 other plants I'm unsure of the name of. The lights I currently have are juwel high lite day and nature, info on them is here:
http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/aq...m-24-watt.html

I have the 45watt ones.
So my questions are: are my lights good enough or will I need to replace them? If so suggestions on bulbs?
I believe for a heavily planted tank I'd need to dose fertiliser and CO2 but I have no idea where to start with this. I've read numerous posts on ferts and CO2 but it's all turned my brain to mush so I need help please what kind of things should i be looking for in a CO2 system and fertiliser? what's a good CO2 system and fertiliser to use? Any help will be greatly appreciated

Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach88
Hi all. I'm currently new to plants but I'm planning on eventually having my aquarium heavily planted. I have a juwel rio 180 litre aquarium (101 x 41 x 50cm) Which is lightly planted with some vallis, water sprite, juncus repens and 3 other plants I'm unsure of the name of. The lights I currently have are juwel high lite day and nature, info on them is here:

I have the 45watt ones.
So my questions are: are my lights good enough or will I need to replace them? If so suggestions on bulbs?
I believe for a heavily planted tank I'd need to dose fertiliser and CO2 but I have no idea where to start with this. I've read numerous posts on ferts and CO2 but it's all turned my brain to mush so I need help please what kind of things should i be looking for in a CO2 system and fertiliser? what's a good CO2 system and fertiliser to use? Any help will be greatly appreciated
I'd guess you're probably a med/high light tank. I know with the T5HO the typical WPG rule doesn't really apply. Those bulbs should be fine. When the time comes to replace them i would recommend Giesemann bulbs if you can get them.

As far as ferts and CO2 go, I personally use the dry fert package from Green Leaf Aquariums and Milwaukee brand regulator, solenoid, bubble counter, and PH controller with a 5# CO2 tank. The Milwaukee brand equipment seems to be a good bang for your buck. A lot of people like them and i have no reason to complain

skywhitney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also use the ferts from Green Leaf Aquariums. I go with the PPS-Pro system for mixing and dosing their fertilizer package. For CO2 I use a Red Sea regulator and solenoid with a Milwaukee PH controller. The Milwaukee regulator and solenoid is probably a better deal, though.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

36" 45w bulbs are T12 I believe, not T5HO. Check on the bulb, it should say somewhere (something like F36T12).

Light leads to CO2 and fert demand. Without the light, there's not as much of a demand for CO2, and therefore it wouldn't be as necessary.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem
36" 45w bulbs are T12 I believe, not T5HO. Check on the bulb, it should say somewhere (something like F36T12).
Pretty sure he has HOs if they're running at 45w although to be T5HOs they should be 39w. Not sure what he has.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

This is from the link the OP posted.

------------------------------------------------

"High-Lite refers to the new light technology by Juwel Aquarium. It combines the existing tube lengths of the T8 with new brighter technology.

High-Lite Day tube creates a cool and bright light with a colour temperature of 9000 Kelvin. It enhances natural colours and plant growth.

For Freshwater we recommend following combinations: Day + Nature or Day + Colour.

The 895 mm / 45 Watt High-Lite Tube can be used in a 92 cm light unit. Following aquariums can be fitted with this Tube: Rio� 180 and Trigon� 350 (front light unit).

High-Lite Tube Day 45 W (895 mm)"

-------------------------------------------------
skywhitney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

As these lights seem to be a new proprietary technology you may just have to see how well they preform. Still, you should have enough light for medium light plants with that fixture. If the technology is excellent you could get high light plants to grow. I've never seen them used so can't say anything for certain. They don't make the claim to be comparable to T5s but to T8s so they likely don't have the PAR of T5HOs. They don't provide much info about the lights on that link as far as spectrum or lumens. Humm...
Old 05-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallineAlgae View Post
As these lights seem to be a new proprietary technology you may just have to see how well they preform. Still, you should have enough light for medium light plants with that fixture. If the technology is excellent you could get high light plants to grow. I've never seen them used so can't say anything for certain. They don't make the claim to be comparable to T5s but to T8s so they likely don't have the PAR of T5HOs. They don't provide much info about the lights on that link as far as spectrum or lumens. Humm...
They appear to be a proprietary T5HO lamp. Other websites call them a high output T5. The reference to the T8 was only in comparison to the length of the bulbs.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:01 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

They're not T5HO if they're not running at 39w with 36". To my knowledge, that's just a fact of the technology. I just googled 45w 36" Fluorescent and came up with T12s. I believe that T12s and T8s give off the same amount of light, but T8s are more efficient.

It might be some sort of a weird T8HO, or an overdriven T8. Whenever a company plays the proprietary technology card, there claim is usually largely BS (see Seachem and Excel). If they're T5HO, why don't they call it that and use name recognition that goes with T5 technology? Probably because it's not actually T5 level technology, and they're trying to smokescreen it.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:22 AM   #10
come get me tang police!
Community Moderator

Measuring the diameter of the bulb would narrow it down a bit.

Tags
co2, fert, light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com