Mommy and Baby Sword

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
I finally decided it was time to plant my first baby sword. I decided to place baby and mommy next to each other to cure their separation anxiety...after all, the were attached for months!

I decided to place baby and mommy next to each other to cure their separation anxiety...after all, the were attached for months!

That's funny! :lol: Mother and baby both look well! They are very pretty! What kind of swords are they? How big do they get?

They are Amazon Swords....depending on conditions, maintenance, if you trim them, tank size, they can get up to a foot and a half tall!!

I thought swords get pretty big! I wanted an ozelot sword for my 5 gallon tank, until I saw a pic in someone's gallery that showed the ozelot sword covering half of something like a 90 gallon tank!

Do you trim your sword so it stays small enough for the 10 gallon tank? I'm still looking for plants for my tank (now that the cyano's gone!) and they probably will have to be trimmed to stay small enough. I know some plants don't do well if they are trimmed.

Right now it hasn't gotten to the point where I have to trim it...I know it's going to be tricky, so I am looking into that now as the only plants I have ever trimmed were baby's tears and anacharis. Right now, if a leaf dies, I will cut it out, that's about it for now.

I thought swords get pretty big! I wanted an ozelot sword for my 5 gallon tank, until I saw a pic in someone's gallery that showed the ozelot sword covering half of something like a 90 gallon tank!

that was me, I believe. I have a love/hate relationship with that Ozelot. It looks great, but it's a monster, shading out everything in its path. I'm Ruthless on trimming it these days. Since I know this plant is tough as heck, I will cut off all the outer leaves, 1/2 inch above the substrate, leaving as few as 5 leaves left on the plant. It responds by putting out prolly 3 new leaves in the next week! Other swords are quite possbly not robust enough to take that kind of treatment, so I'm not reccomending this trimming regimen.

However, there are at least a couple dozen sword varieties available these days, many of which stay much smaller. I'm thinking offhand of several varieties of Melon Sword I've seen that are supposed to stay small.

Lori, good luck with that baby sword. Mine have been notoriously un-hardy. I've tried leaving them attached to mom for a long time, short time, in-between time, and almost all of the babies have died. I would say roughly out of 25 attempts, I have had 3 succesfully grow into adults. These were all from the aforementioned ozelot too!

Wow! Well, I will keep my fingers crossed and keep a close eye on baby. Just having the plant stay alive on the rhizome was a feat enough for me!!

Back
Top Bottom