More confused about light than ever...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnPaul

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, now that I'm setting up my third planted tank, I'm finally reading the sticky at the top of this forum on ("Read this First..."). After reading that and some of the linked threads there, I am more confused than ever.

My situation: setting up a 10g tank as a red cherry shrimp only breeding tank.

My setup is a standard 10g, tahitian moon sand as substrate, some driftwood, a big anubias, a small compacta sword, java moss, and some vals. Nothing fancy.

I got a standard versa top and then as a hood, a standard incandenscent strip light hood (two fixtures), with the plan to head to the local hardware store and pick up two screw-in CF bulbs (which I recently had ask about in another thread, thanks to all who responded in that one.)

My problem: Most of the screw-in CF bulbs I saw at Home Depot are the wrong color temp for growing plants; lots of them are 2700k, others come in at 4100k or 5100k. I did find some that are 6500k. The problem with those is the smallest wattage ones they had at that color temp were 19W bulbs (that is, 19W actual power usage, the "equivalent" of 100W of light blah blah blah).

So if I put two of those in, that's 38W of light on a 10g tank, nearly 4 wpg. Yikes! THEN on top of that, the link in the sticky ("A beginner's guide to lighting") says that when dealing with CF bulbs, one should calculate 1 wpg CF as equivalent to 1.75 wpg in terms of the "rule." So that would seemingly give me 6.65 WPG. (Ugh, super ultra high light).

BUT that's not the whole story, because the link also suggests that in today's world of multiple bulb types, there is another standard to consider, which is lumens per square inch. These Home Depot bulbs put out 900 lumens each, so that's 1800 lumens over 200 square inches, a ratio of 9.0 which according to the chart would put it in the "low to moderate light" category.

Help! :eyes:

What I am looking for: Enough light to grow some basic plants, nothing fancy. Because this is a RCS breeding tank and the sensitivity of the RCS, CO2 and ferts are not an option. (The folks over at the petshrimp.com forums, who are the experts in shrimp breeding, are pretty strong on this, especially the part about no ferts). Algae growth is not really a huge issue, in fact some amount of algae growth is wanted as this is a big part of the RCS diet. I'm just worried that 4 wpg is gonna be overkill. Ideally I'd like to find bulbs that are about half the wattage but still have the right color temp; so far I've had no luck finding anything that meets that description though.

38 watts over 10 gallons may seem like a lot but it really isn't. The amount of light needed to grow plants in smaller tanks is more than what is needed in a larger tank. In other words, 38W in your 10g is probably the equivalent of 2WPG in a larger tank.

The key thing here is having the right color temperature bulbs and those 6500K bulbs are great for plant growth.

38 watts of U shaped compact flourescent could be alittle high if you don't plan to add CO2. Two 15 or 10 watt bulbs should work fine for your low light plants and also keep you from having to add DIY CO2. I used two 20 watt bulbs on a tank for a while and it is bright enough it could easily grow algae and did until I added DIY CO2 in that tank. Not the good algae for shrimp, Green spot algae mostly.

HTH

I also have a 10gal for cherry shrimp. I currently have 2x25w screw type CF over it. I think it is safe to say it is more like 2.5wpg. I added co2 just in case. Out of all the plants in this tank cardamine, apongeton, and milfoil are doing the best. Shrimp seem to be doing fine too.

I have 2 20W over 1 10G tank and 2 25W over the other. Neither has CO2, and I have no algae problems in either one. But the one with 25W bulbs is newly set up and has severe diatoms. But that will pass shortly.

Hmm, ok I feel much more at ease. Thanks much to those who shared your experience.

So true, mine could have easily been because my tanks were alot older and weren't running under the lower light to begin with.

if u are worried about algea and dont want to inject co2 then go with flourish. it will be cheap for a tank that size and very effective. this will help prevent any algea that may wat to rear its ugly head.

I'm surprised you couldn't find lower wattage CF. I bought a 6 pack of 13 watt Philips 6500K bulbs at my Home Depot. That was the only wattage they carried, in that bulb temp.

Back
Top Bottom