Moss balls, really?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lpn4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Am I the only one that did not know moss balls are just moss around a golf ball? Boy do I feel dumb. Are all "moss balls" like that? I saw 2 different kinds at my lfs, flame moss and marimo moss. The flame moss was brown and disintegrated enough for me to see the inner portion, was a golf ball. I know this post tells you how much of a newbie I am, however, I had to share this new revelation I have uncovered!!

True marimo are moss balls are not just moss rolled around a ball. They are actual organisms (somebody will correct me if I am wrong, but I think they technically a type of algae rather than moss). But, there are also java moss balls and those are just moss rolled around solid center. :)

Marimo moss balls are cladophora algae, and in nature it can grow into the ball shape because of wave action and rolling back and forth on the bottom.

I've heard a little about other mosses being wrapped around a ball, but it's not very common. Not sure what it's about, but sounds gimmicky and an attempt to make something similar to a real moss ball at a fraction of the price.

Marimo moss balls are cladophora algae, and in nature it can grow into the ball shape because of wave action and rolling back and forth on the bottom.

I've heard a little about other mosses being wrapped around a ball, but it's not very common. Not sure what it's about, but sounds gimmicky and an attempt to make something similar to a real moss ball at a fraction of the price.
Yeah, PetCo sells java moss balls that are java moss wrapped around foam. They sell them for half the price of the marimos. I have only ever seen the fake moss balls at chains personally.

id have to agree with jetajockey..../\ the moss ball i got is definatley all squishy right the way through but have seen them with marbles etc inside. as above probably quicker and cheaper to grow them like that

I've always wondered why they call the marimo algae balls 'moss balls'. IMO, a moss ball is a ball of moss... much like what you all are saying petco sells.

I've always wondered why they call the marimo algae balls 'moss balls'. IMO, a moss ball is a ball of moss... much like what you all are saying petco sells.

Because "moss" sounds better than "algae" I think. They also fail to mention that the clado algae can spread onto other objects in the tank and eventually cover several surfaces.

Back
Top Bottom