My attempt at emersed growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peyton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
About a month ago I planted some clippings from L. glandulosa, L. repens, and L palustris in a small pond next to my house. Here is the growth so far.

1st is glandulosa

img_805804_0_079f5c197aa152be7f44dc4fa7aebc39.jpg

Next is L palustris (right at the base of the cattail) and L repens (to the right of the cattail). Notice the similarity of emersed growth.

img_805804_1_e334ba20841d08b4d3db61e68d60f394.jpg

I'm also tring elatine tiandra also. Don't have pics of it yet though.

My goal was to grow plants that are found naturally around my area. Most are rare or extinct in the wild where I live acording to the USDA's site.

Interesting Peyton......I'll be watching this thread. ;)
How big is the pond?

The pond is small, about 30'x 50'. It use to be nice but over the years it has filled in. Used to be about 6' deep but now maybe 2' at most. I use to fish in it as a kid. It had 3 huge catfish in it. Use to have some good size bluegill also. Now there is a few bluegill left but the cats are long gone. Cattails and lilly pads has taken it over for the most part now. As soon as I get some extra $$$ I'm going to have it dug out and redone with a liner.

Peyton said:
The pond is small, about 30'x 50'. It use to be nice but over the years it has filled in. Used to be about 6' deep but now maybe 2' at most. I use to fish in it as a kid. It had 3 huge catfish in it. Use to have some good size bluegill also. Now there is a few bluegill left but the cats are long gone. Cattails and lilly pads has taken it over for the most part now. As soon as I get some extra $$$ I'm going to have it dug out and redone with a liner.

That brings back memories of a similar pond that I frequented when I was a kid. (wait......it hurts to think back that far.)
That is great that you plan on restoring it. Have you ever priced a liner that size? I bet it'll cost ya a pretty penny.

GlitcH said:
That brings back memories of a similar pond that I frequented when I was a kid. (wait......it hurts to think back that far.)
That is great that you plan on restoring it. Have you ever priced a liner that size? I bet it'll cost ya a pretty penny.

I may just line it with a few layers of the thick plastic sheeting to be honest. I done it before years ago with a goldfish pond I had and it worked ok. I'm not sure yet though.

It looks terrible compared to when I was a kid. The water level has dropped at least a foot or two also because the main drain, which is a 4" pipe in the middle, has a crack down the side of it.

I remember when my dad was looking at this place my grandpa was going to buy one half of the property and my dad the other. The half my grandpa was getting was the part with the pond. He said he was going to fill in the pond and put a house there. I begged and begged my dad to buy it all so we can have the pond and he did. Now my home is right beside the pond. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom