My first planted tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uhclaudiia

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, recently my dad made me this beautiful tank stand that holds two 20G long tanks. I’ve started planning out what i want to do and i just have a few questions, or more like needing reassurance lol. (Only working on one of the tanks right now)

I plan to first cycle the tank of course, then plant it, with sand on top of organic soil. I’ll be using pretty simple plants from what i’ve read, java fern, dwarf chain swords, anubias and carpeting plants. I have good lighting and a great fertilizer.

Following this i’ll add some RCS which is very exciting to me as I’ve been wanting shrimp for forever! I’d let them colonize before adding fish, because i’m aware that they’re easy prey.

Once the shrimp have time to settle in, i’ll add a group of guppies, males and females. I was thinking of adding another small school of fish to go along with them, but i feel that the tank being 20G isn’t big enough. It’s either another small school, or a decently sized “centrepiece fish”. This is what I’m stuck on!!

I’d like a gorgeous centrepiece fish, but I can’t find anything that won’t wipe out my shrimp lol, but I’d rather that over another school of fish. Plus I know having one can keep the population of both guppies and shrimp from getting out of control, but i’d also like to raise shrimp and fish fry.

1.) An extra small school or centrepiece fish? And what type?
2.) How many guppies and shrimp?
3.) Is there a wrong amount of soil or sand?

Thanks for reading, tried to keep it simple [emoji16]

You do not have to wait for the cycle to be complete before you Plant It. Planting it beforehand will actually aid the cycling process.

Just a quick note the guppies will eat any shrimplets unless your planting is incredibly thick and if they don't eat the shrimplets they may harass the adult females enough to make them not hold eggs. There is no true shrimp safe fish - if you are hoping to have them reproduce & increase the colony without further purchases - except maybe otto cats or chili rasboras. Chilis like slow currents & low light or lots of cover so maybe not possible in your tank. If your not totally committed to RCS but want shrimp go with Amanos. They won't be able to reproduce without brackish water so you will have to add/buy what you want to make your colony. They clean algae well & add that shrimp element to the tank. Oh one final note you need to make sure your fert is shrimp safe as they all are highly sensitive to some metals etc. and they will survive with them present they won't thrive and the stress will make for shorter lives.

Back
Top Bottom