My flyval ebi(shrimp) tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phatpaul

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi every one i thought ill see what you guys and girls make of my shrimp tank. Theres about 20 red cherry shrimps, 6 neons and 6 dwarf corys.
Iv only just added the 2nd light unit and co2 so im waiting to see if that makes a vast improvement.
Thanks

Attachments

• image-3345286235.jpg
    image-3345286235.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 123
Hi dan, thanks very much, yeah thats java fern tied to the bogwood. The carpet plant in the front middle is flame moss and the other bits that looks like hills are morino moss balls cut in half and tied to lava rocks.

The tank looks good! The flame moss really give it a nice carpeted look. You got to keep us updated on how the CO2 and extra light help the plants. I'd imagine the RCS are loving the moss balls.

Lol yeah the shrimps are always out on the moss. Iv just got some dwarf hairgrass to fill in the gaps which should look nice, sure can keep you updated on the grow rate with the co2. I do intend to get some HC to replace the flame moss soon but iv never had any luck with it in the past but i never had the extra light.

Lol yeah the shrimps are always out on the moss. Iv just got some dwarf hairgrass to fill in the gaps which should look nice, sure can keep you updated on the grow rate with the co2. I do intend to get some HC to replace the flame moss soon but iv never had any luck with it in the past but i never had the extra light.

Awesome! Can't wait to see how the Dwarf grass comes out.

In my RCS tanks, the stock florescent is relegating me to lower light Anubias and both Java ferns and moss.

The lamp is stock but it is for plant growth and if i remember its got 6700k rating so im hoping running the 2 lamps might be enough to get HC to grow but will shall see lol

With the extra light and CO2 the HC should grow fine but what are you using as a fertilizer?

The tank looks really good, it's design has a simple elegance to it.

With the extra light and CO2 the HC should grow fine but what are you using as a fertilizer?

The tank looks really good, it's design has a simple elegance to it.

Thanks rivercats, no not using any ferts, i have got some root tabs but im not sure if it will be any good for HC

Heres a few more pics with the new hairgrass. The flame moss has grown about 5-10mm in the last 4 or 5 days so it looks the lights and the co2 is working for it. Also the light really shows the colours off on the shrimps aswell which is an added bonus

Attachments

• image-1003963933.jpg
    image-1003963933.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 78
  • image-806882903.jpg
    image-806882903.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 74
  • image-2034589845.jpg
    image-2034589845.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 79
  • image-257774900.jpg
    image-257774900.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 68
Those closeups really brings out the colors in the tank. I agree, it's got such a simple elegance. When I compare it to mine, my RCS tank almost looks a little too busy.

Those closeups really brings out the colors in the tank. I agree, it's got such a simple elegance. When I compare it to mine, my RCS tank almost looks a little too busy.

Lol thanks again, recently i had about 130 shrimps in the tank and trust me that was hectic. I started off with about 20 about 8 months ago and just kept the water clean and left them to it. I thought it was time to thin them out as i thought had about 50 in there but as said when i deceided to sell them on i realised i had sooo many. I managed to get about £90 for the extras so i treated the tank to the extra light and co2 and also i got a new fluval spec which is cycling at mo, as i want to try and keep red crystal shrimps

130 shrimp, wow, that must've looked busy. Well, I'm knocking on the 100 shrimp door, if not already. I counted 60 before I gave up as they moved too much and I figure I've got a couple dozen more easily in babies.

When I said busy, I meant maybe too many taller plants and not enough substrate cover. But when I feed them? You'll see maybe 20-25 out ... mostly juveniles, a few babies and a couple of adults. Soon as food hits the substrate ... ... it's like a stampede!

Lol shrimp stampede, yeah no what you mean. i thought i only had about 50, it wasnt until i moved the bogwood out and all the shrimps and shrimplets came out i realised they had been getting busy alot more then i thought.

Thanks rivercats, no not using any ferts, i have got some root tabs but im not sure if it will be any good for HC

You could put one in by the Dwarf hair grass. Since you've upgraded your light and your running CO2 you are going to have to see about getting some ferts. Not sure what you have available over there but I would look into getting something.

You could put one in by the Dwarf hair grass. Since you've upgraded your light and your running CO2 you are going to have to see about getting some ferts. Not sure what you have available over there but I would look into getting something.

Ok thanks ill pop a couple in tomorrow. I can get liquid ferts easily enough like seachams, i dont no anything about dry ferts so i keep clear of those. Is there any good liquid ferts you can recommend, as i dont want to kill my shrimps by getting the wrong one with copper in or anything else harmful to them

Shrimp actually need some copper, its vital for them. Mind you it's not alot but it's like our needing alittle iron in our system. I've never known anyone who's killed their shrimp using ferts. I use dry ferts and have a ton of ghost shrimp in my 220g. Seachem makes a good line of ferts. Their Flouish comprehensive is good and if you notice any plant nutrient deficiencies down the road you can buy nitrogen (nitrates), potassium, and phosphates individually in their Flourish line. I like dry ferts as they are cheap and very easy to use.

Shrimp actually need some copper, its vital for them. Mind you it's not alot but it's like our needing alittle iron in our system. I've never known anyone who's killed their shrimp using ferts. I use dry ferts and have a ton of ghost shrimp in my 220g. Seachem makes a good line of ferts. Their Flouish comprehensive is good and if you notice any plant nutrient deficiencies down the road you can buy nitrogen (nitrates), potassium, and phosphates individually in their Flourish line. I like dry ferts as they are cheap and very easy to use.

Lol i thought copper would kill shrimp, learn something new every day. And thanks, ill get some flourish then i dont mind using liquids as its easy to use, Its only a small tank so if i get a big bottle it will last a long time. Would HC do better with liquid ferts aswell

Back
Top Bottom