My Plan and Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am setting up a 20 tall for a betta. I am going to try some things I have never done. I usually stink at aquascaping but I am very proud of my last attempt and want to try again!
I want to do a moss and slate wall on tne back. Never done this before but I have gotten some help on here. I ak thinking flame moss or marimo balls cut up for the moss at this point.
Also I want to coat a piece of driftwood in moss (probably marimo balls) any advice on either is welcome!
I have done dirted tanks before and I think I will go that route again as I do not fertilize at all. I am thinking either crypts or microsword or dwarf sag as a carpet almost. Lighting will be a dual bulb NO t5 at best and a single bulb t8 at worst.
I want a nice green jungle for the betta o live in and hopefully hunt in as I am going to try neo shrimp with him.
Any suggestions?
Thanks and God bless!

You can use fishing line to secure the moss to slate and DW. Lighter test (thinner) line is less visible and the moss will soon grow over it.

I have wrapped DW branches with moss and set it only on the upper surfaces. I think the latter looks more natural. Especially with flame moss. Please note you will have to trim it from time to time. Least messy way it to remove the slate or DW and trim it followed by a quick rinse. If you trim it in the tank, do a PWC to remove the trimmings.

The dual t5 NO will be adequate for crypts and dwarf sag. I have some crypt wendtii red under those lights and I think it looks nicer than the ones I had in higher lighting. Stays more compact and colorful.

Sounds like that Betta will have a nice home.

So if I go woth marimo instead of flame moss does it still need trimming? I work 7 days a week so trimking doesnt really happen lol
I appreciate it! I am excited! I am supposed to be picking up a gorgeous betta this weekend and I am going tk treat it like a pet dog lol

So if I go woth marimo instead of flame moss does it still need trimming? I work 7 days a week so trimking doesnt really happen lol
I appreciate it! I am excited! I am supposed to be picking up a gorgeous betta this weekend and I am going tk treat it like a pet dog lol

Not too likely. They grow slowly. As for the moss, you might have to trim it once a month maybe.

Ok thanks! I think this is gonna look really awesome!

Here is my shrimp tank (dual T5 NO). Not too crazy about the layout but pleased with the density of the crypts. Started with 3 crypt wendtii red and 2 crypt undulata. I root pellet fertilize every few months and add no liquid ferts. The dwarf sag and moss grows slowly in this setup. Which is fine. Less maintenance.

Here is my shrimp tank (dual T5 NO). Not too crazy about the layout but pleased with the density of the crypts. Started with 3 crypt wendtii red and 2 crypt undulata. I root pellet fertilize every few months and add no liquid ferts. The dwarf sag and moss grows slowly in this setup. Which is fine. Less maintenance.

I guess it would help if I posted a pic
HIyXnKP.jpg

Very nice! On a 20 tall I would still get good growth out of cypts right? I will be dirting the tank.

Very nice! On a 20 tall I would still get good growth out of cypts right? I will be dirting the tank.

With the single T-8 not sure (have not tried it). With the T5 dual NO you should get growth. Not fast by any means. The crypts in the pic have been growing for 10 months. The shorter ones are sending out runners.
I was going to suggest the clamp on cfl setup for about $20-25 but on AquaTraders you can get a 24" dual T5 HO for about $39. A lot brighter for plant growth and if you need some shade for the Betta, you could add some floating plants.

With the single T-8 not sure (have not tried it). With the T5 dual NO you should get growth. Not fast by any means. The crypts in the pic have been growing for 10 months. The shorter ones are sending out runners.
I was going to suggest the clamp on cfl setup for about $20-25 but on AquaTraders you can get a 24" dual T5 HO for about $39. A lot brighter for plant growth and if you need some shade for the Betta, you could add some floating plants.

Cool! I am gonna build a slate background with some patches of moss. Hopefully that will afford him enough shade. I might buy the coralife t5 as I have one that I have had success with one before.

Loctite dishwasher safe super glue works great for moss ball and moss projects.

Moss Ball
1 squeeze out all moisture from moss ball, pat it dry with a towel
2 Cut your moss ball to size
3 make sure the other surface is dry
4 glue in to place and let it adhere for 15min

Moss wall
You can glue strands of moss to slate or
you can use plastic crochet screen sold at michaels or hobby lobby. Sandwich the moss between 2 sheets and tie down with fish line. Cut a spot for a suction cup and place wherever u choose

Lastly

IMO- To adhere any type of small carpeting plant to rocks or driftwood. I use nylon shower sponges and zip ties. Take apart the shower sponge. You're left with at least 3' of nylon mesh. Place your plant onto the rock or dw, wrap the mesh and secure the tie on the backside. The plant will grow a bond to the surfaces and grow through the mesh.

Have fun, that's most important

First off philly gorgeous tanks! Thank you for the advice! I really like the look of that moss ball on slate! I think Ill build a slate wall and attach moss balls at randomn spots! I also will probably attach it to driftwood! Is it the same attaching proceedure for all surfaces?

I've used loctite on all. Just work neatly, keep the glue confined to your work area/surface. The glue dries white. Really squeeze as much moisture out of the moss ball, before and after you cut to size.

First do a test area

I've used loctite on all. Just work neatly, keep the glue confined to your work area/surface. The glue dries white. Really squeeze as much moisture out of the moss ball, before and after you cut to size.

First do a test area

Ok thanks! The moss ball attaches to the stone/wood by itself eventualy though right? I dont want tbe glie wearing out or something lol

Honestly, I don't believe the moss ball will attach on its own. You may want to google it.

Honestly, I don't believe the moss ball will attach on its own. You may want to google it.

Ok so after a quick searched I found that marimo is not a moss but an algae. It grows in 3 forms naturally. Ball, loose, and anchored to rock! So it will attach! NownI just gotta find some slate thats thin enough...

I use riccia stones sold at ADA to attach moss ball pieces and carpeting plants. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394149788.565462.jpg

Back
Top Bottom