Need advice , started a planted 75 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katrinag

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am hoping some one out there can help. I am in the middle of a fishless cycle for my new 75 gal tank. I have eco-complete substrate, satellite + led lighting and a fluval 406. I followed eco's sticky on fishless cycling and have the temp turned up to 80 and have a bubbler going. I just planted a bunch of plants and also set up my fluval injection co2 system. I have micro swords, anubas nana on driftwood, cabomba, water sprite, moneywort and crptocoryne.

I am not sure how many BPS to use for the co2? 1 per second ?
How do I know if I have enough or too much co2?
I also was using excel and root tabs in my old tank. Should I use them too?
I read on one of the forums that you should run a bubbler with the co2, is that true?
I ordered a GH & KH test kit.

I am sure I am doing something wrong and really need some expert advice to be able to maintain this plants and hopefully add fish in soon. Thank you

Get a drop checker with 4dkh blue solution. Blue will indicate to little co2, green is correct amount, yellow too much co2. This will allow you to set your bubble per second rate.

Yes turn off airstone while co2 is on

Continue using excel and root tabs if you did before

Thank you. Can you tell me more about the drop checker ? I have not really seen anything on that.

Theres really not too much to it tbh. You buy a drop checker from any aquarium supplier and buy some 4dkh solution (bromine blue i think its also called). If you need info on setting it up or how it works a simple google search will have all the information on it

ok thank you. Also do I need to use a GH & KH test kit? I am really not sure what that is for?

Tbh im not totally sure myself when it comes to kH and gH. I know kH is linked with pH. If youve got a low kH your water is prone to pH swings which harm fish. gH is general hardness and think it might be linked to total dissolved solids. Probably worth a google search again if nobody else on here chimes in. Defo worth buying the kit though

What light fixture and bulbs are you using? Lighting determines the type of plants you can grow successfully in a tank. Next the CO2 kit you bought isn't adequate for a 75g tank. I think the Fluval one is for tanks up to 40g and honestly you are going to spend a lot of money on refills and your not going to get enough CO2 in your tank to really help plants. I suggest using 1ml liquid carbon for every 2 gallons of water daily. You can order a gallon of Metricide 14 Day Solution on line for about $20. It's double the strength of Excel so you'd use half the dose above if used full strength from the bottle. It also comes with an activator bottle which you throw away. Be sure to use it daily.

As for ferts only swords, crypts, wisteria, and bulb plants need root tabs. Your other plants need ferts in the water and with having a large tank I suggest this...

I use these ferts.... Estimative Index | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums.

I also suggest 3 of these dosing bottles... Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums

Read this thread about dosing PPS-Pro but only read the opening post and not all the comment posts... Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central.

There are two things I do differently than the thread is that I split my macro nutrients up using one dosing bottle for nitrates, and one dosing bottle for phosphates and potassium. This allows me for better custom dosing to the needs of my tank. I shoot for 10-20ppm of nitrate and 1-5ppm phosphates. The thread also has MgSO4, magnesium sulfate in the macro mix. If your tanks Gh is 4 or over then your tap water has enough magnesium in it that supplementing it is not needed.

What light fixture and bulbs are you using? Lighting determines the type of plants you can grow successfully in a tank. Next the CO2 kit you bought isn't adequate for a 75g tank. I think the Fluval one is for tanks up to 40g and honestly you are going to spend a lot of money on refills and your not going to get enough CO2 in your tank to really help plants. I suggest using 1ml liquid carbon for every 2 gallons of water daily. You can order a gallon of Metricide 14 Day Solution on line for about $20. It's double the strength of Excel so you'd use half the dose above if used full strength from the bottle. It also comes with an activator bottle which you throw away. Be sure to use it daily.

As for ferts only swords, crypts, wisteria, and bulb plants need root tabs. Your other plants need ferts in the water and with having a large tank I suggest this...

I use these ferts.... Estimative Index | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums.

I also suggest 3 of these dosing bottles... Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums

Read this thread about dosing PPS-Pro but only read the opening post and not all the comment posts... Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central.

There are two things I do differently than the thread is that I split my macro nutrients up using one dosing bottle for nitrates, and one dosing bottle for phosphates and potassium. This allows me for better custom dosing to the needs of my tank. I shoot for 10-20ppm of nitrate and 1-5ppm phosphates. The thread also has MgSO4, magnesium sulfate in the macro mix. If your tanks Gh is 4 or over then your tap water has enough magnesium in it that supplementing it is not needed.

Proper advice lol

Thank you Rivercats, I have together satellite + led than I red about from Brian's nano. I will read this over and probably come back with questions. Hopefully that is ok. The LFS said to use the fluval and just double up lol.

Thank you Rivercats, I have together satellite + led than I red about from Brian's nano. I will read this over and probably come back with questions. Hopefully that is ok. The LFS said to use the fluval and just double up lol.

Of course they said double up as then you'll have to buy even more refills which last maybe 4 weeks or so.

This is what I use for CO2...

New Premium Aquatek CO2 Regulator with Integrated Cool Touch Solenoid | eBay

New Aqautek Bubble Counter with Integrated Check Valve | eBay

Glass Aquarium CO2 Drop Checker Test Optional 4oz 4DKH Liquid US Seller | eBay

I bought my CO2 cylinders from AquariumPlants.com but you can buy them from ebay and other places along with welding shops and such locally where you would get refills from. A 5 pound cylinder would be fine. I use a huge 20 pound cylinder on my 220g but it lasts a long time. And you need some airline tubing.

Congrats on the new tank(y)

I just set up a planted tank a couple of weeks ago and had many of the same questions. Many great folks on AA & lots of great info.

How many days has your tank been set up?

Many factors impact your actual dissolved CO2 level. The only way to know for sure is by using a drop checker. I got one as I want my plants to thrive, but don't want to stress my fish in the process:eek: I have this kH/pH chart that will get you in the ballpark as far as CO2, but the drop checker is far more accurate from what I've read & heard from others.

I have EcoComplete fine grade & started with CO2 & micro/trace fertilizer only. I'll likely start with some of the GLA ferts others have mentioned in the near future.

I'm pondering an airstone for the fish when lights & CO2 are off, but not sure if it's really necessary?

Last edited by a moderator:
3 bps is the usual recommended setting for CO2. A drop checker is the best way to make sure your fish are not getting to much CO2. Buy a drop checker and some 4DHK solution. It doesn't come with the drop checker. They usually say to add PH checker drops and tank water but that is not very accurate. A bubblier will help if you leave the CO2 on all the time. When the lights go off, the plants do not use the CO2 and it will build up and could hurt the fish. A bubblier disperses it. If the CO2 is on a timer than it is not necessary.

With the substrate you are using additional fertilizer in the substrate shouldn't be needed for awhile. What is in the eco complete will be used up eventually and you will need to use root tabs. Not sure how long this takes though. Most plants take up nutrients through the water column so a good fertilizer you add to the water is needed for their growth. I started with Flourish Complete and moved on to EI dosing line from Green Leaf Aquariums.

There is a member her called RiverCats who is great with large planted tanks. You might want to pm her with questions. She has been a great help to me.

Hi again, can I clarify a couple things on this post?
I would be using the Metricide in place of Excel for the Liquid carbon. That would cost less than going the fluval and excel route from what I am understanding.

I would need root tabs and liquid ferts depending on the plants. I am over 4 GH.

In addition I can set up a proper co2 injection system as you mentioned in a following post and use a co2 indictor.

I really want to do this right and plan to read more and see if I can follow this. Does any of this affect my fish less cycling I am currently doing? I am in 3 weeks.

You use Metricide 14 instead of Excel as they are both basically the same. Metricide 14 is just much more economical to use. I would be using it daily right now along with the Fluval CO2 you have.

I'd use up the Fluval CO2 system you have and then you can get pressurized CO2 down the road if you want.

Be sure to only run lighting 6 hours for the first couple months to help keep algae problems at bay.

While cycling I personally wouldn't dose any ferts for the first 4 weeks. After that I would go to dosing the dry ferts I suggested daily and shoot for 10-20ppm nitrates and 1-3ppm phosphates. I suggest getting a phosphate test kit.

You use Metricide 14 instead of Excel as they are both basically the same. Metricide 14 is just much more economical to use. I would be using it daily right now along with the Fluval CO2 you have.

I'd use up the Fluval CO2 system you have and then you can get pressurized CO2 down the road if you want.

Be sure to only run lighting 6 hours for the first couple months to help keep algae problems at bay.

While cycling I personally wouldn't dose any ferts for the first 4 weeks. After that I would go to dosing the dry ferts I suggested daily and shoot for 10-20ppm nitrates and 1-3ppm phosphates. I suggest getting a phosphate test kit.

Great thanks for sharing your experience.

I feel like I have a good plan now. In regards to the drop checker, I was looking at green leaf aqua drop checkers. Do you think they are better than what is on eBay. I would rather spend more and buy less meaning would the eBay product last ?

The one on ebay is a nice glass one and lasts as long as you don't break it when it's out of the tank.

Hi Rivercats, I was searching online for the Metricide and I found it for $20 but the shipping is the same so it costs $40. Is that typical? What site do you buy from and do you know of any offer free shipping ? Thank you

My PH has bottomed out. I am at 6.0. I got it up to 6.4 yesterday after a wc. I am on week four of my fish less cycle. I wonder if i need to do another water change to get the ph up of should I do something else? Anyone know?

Also I want to order the metricide 14 today and wondered what site to order from. I found it for $35 including shipping , is that a good deal, I know RC mentioned $20 per gal. Thank you

HI Rivercats, I finally had a chance to read this over and I am a little confused. I read the PPS newbie Guide. You say you are taking the ferts and splitting the 3 up into 3 different bottles? How much is the dose supposed to be? I assume you are not using all of the mixed bottle at once and that is ok to let it sit? If I missed that I apologize.

Also It mentions about 30 ppm of co2 may be bad for fish, is that correct?

Thank you again, sorry for all of the questions, I plan on ordering today and want to make sure I understand.

Until RiverCats chimes in I thought I would give you what advice I can. I follow her dosing recommendations. Yes, you split into three bottles and dose from each one daily. Or at least all but the nitrate bottle. If you have a lot of fish, you may have enough nitrates. You want them to stay around 10, no more than 20 is what I aim for. In three of my tanks I do not dose potassium nitrate because the nitrates stay around 5-10. In my 10 gallon I have so many plants that the nitrate is 0 so I dose 1 ml a day. I keep the CSM+B bottle in the fridge because it tends to mold. I added the 1 ml of Metricide to it as suggested to keep mold from growing but it still did. I put some out in a small dropper bottle weekly and keep the rest in the fridge. It has worked great. I keep the others in light blocking bottles in a drawer to keep the light out. Has worked so far. You do not dose the Mono Potassium Phosphate/Potassium Sulfate bottle in the same area of the tank you dose the Potassium Nitrate because it will make a white particle form like snow. Looks bad. I do not know if they neutralize each other. My head was spinning from all the research so I just did what RiverCats said to do. LOL

RiverCats was nice and sent me a mixing list to make liquid ferts out of the dry stuff. I printed that off and have been using it to mix each bottle. I can forward the pm to you if you would like. You just need a scale with gram measurements. I got mine from Walmart.

Back
Top Bottom