Need lighting help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay so I'm still a newbie when it comes to lighting. I've gotten my first planted tank set up just yesterday with a 36 inch LED. The tank is 75 gallons and the light came with the tank. I have some low light plants (swords, wisteria, etc). I'm unsure as to light I need for the tank. I heard rule of thumb for low light is 2wpg. The tank is in my living room so a hanging light is out of the question(still in parents house).

1. I want a good quality light that isn't too pricy (under $200 please if possible).

2. I heard no more than 8 hours a day of light?

3. Will I get an explosion of algae?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your Tank

Hello Im...

The light you have is very likely plenty for low light plants. You don't need to add anything. Ideally, you want a 48 inch light strip, but I would make do until you know for sure you're going to like the hobby. Just plant the plants directly under the light and change half the tank water weekly. The plants will look poorly at first, that's normal until they get used to your tank's water conditions.

If you like, you can add a liquid like Seachem's Comprehensive. Just dose according to the instructions when you change the tank water.

Pretty easy.

B

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421363903.759093.jpg
This is a current state of my tank. Is that enough light? That's wonderful if it is but if it is not I'd love to know what is appropriate.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421364430.120639.jpg
Also I noticed this white filament on my wood. Is this safe for fish? A disease?

I would stick with that light for now as you literally have like no plants. Intensity should be more than okay. Focus on getting a lot more low light plants then worry about light.

Algae is caused by a lot of different factors each of which we can cross when we get there. For now focus on weekly WC as suggested and not over feeding fish. Keep tank clean and run the lights for 6-7 hours.

Once tank has a lot more plants and things are growing you can up the intensity and duration very slowly.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks a bunch. I have 3 smaller tanks with artificial plants I just am new to live plants

If you have the fluval LED plant light, then you should be fine. When I started I researched all the things people said about lights. WPG (watts per gallon), PAR, Spectrums, using CFLs, DIY lighting, using shop lights hanging over the tank, etc. Its all so confusing when starting and EVERYONE has their own opinion. With the LEDs, they are so new that people dont know how effective they are. They are MUCH more efficient energy wise and penetrate the water column better. I would get the fluval LED plant lights, which are now on sale at petco. I got a 24-36 inch for 80 bucks and they had bigger. Each of my plants is growing and new leaves show up daily. I use eco-complete gravel with substrate gold nuggets or Fluval flourish plant tabs by the plants that root. I also have flourish liquid I dose a 1/2 dose as it contains copper and I have shrimp and snails. I have no issues and a great tank. I looked into every option and this is what works for me. Its high enough lighting that you wont need to mess with CO2, but still grows everything beautifully.

On that kind of driftwood, its very common for that white goo stuff to grow. Mine was covered and its gross looking, but harmless. Its actually a bacteria that is feeding off the nutrients and carbohydrates left in the wood. It will go away after a few months if you wait it out. It stinks too.

Thanks guys this taught me a lot. I'll wait out the goo it's not hurting anything. I'm actually starting to get my fish tonight. I'll post a pic when i put them in. I actually do have a pressurized co2 system the diffuser if you look closely is in the middle. I figured that would give the best spread throughout the tank

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421372617.706988.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421372652.399114.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421372671.794309.jpg

1 fire belly gourami
2 angelfish

More fish to be added

Do gourami naturally hide? Or is he just scared?

Get some floating plants like Amazon Frogbit or float some Anacharis or Hornwort for now. That will offer him more security once he comes out of hiding.

He'll come out once he's used to the tank.

Your tank is really bare, so he doesn't feel secure. Try putting a black cloth on the back wall.

Thanks Coursair I hope one day to have my tank looking like that. I know it takes time and work. I'm still a beginner with plants but I'm all the time on here reading how to take care of them and caring for planted aquariums.

PetSmart is my main LFS in my area unless I want to travel 30-40 mins to Knoxville. They sell Hornwort so I guess I will try that and see how it goes :)

And my tank is pretty bare because it's just starting out I've only had it set up about a week.

Pretty cloudy in there??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you. This 10g was my first "real" planted tank as in using ferts and swapping to better lights.

I joined a local plant club, so many of my plants were free. I did buy a few here and there. The Planted Tank (TPT) sales forum was a great resource as well.

Members here sell some plants as well.

Pretty cloudy in there??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a new tank. I assume it will clear up over time once everything settles in. That's what my 45g did

Back
Top Bottom