Nils 2.5G upgrade to 5.5G DP Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442351666.893134.jpg there's that fts! Lots of berried shrimp and lots of growing plants!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ooooh... me gusta :)

I don't remember who I asked about blyxa but yours looks nice.

How come no reds? I think some L Repens sp. Red would look nice in here.

Gracias!
My blyxa is growing great, I'll have to see if I can trim enough to send out to people. I'll let you know if I have any trimmings of it that I could send your way.
There is some purplish-red in the back (Pogoestemon Quadrifolius, I probably slaughtered that name lol) but you can't really see it. Might just be the new leaves growing out because the rest of it is green. The thing is that this tank is so full I would have no where to put the reds :lol: Maybe some day :)

Gracias!
My blyxa is growing great, I'll have to see if I can trim enough to send out to people. I'll let you know if I have any trimmings of it that I could send your way.
There is some purplish-red in the back (Pogoestemon Quadrifolius, I probably slaughtered that name lol) but you can't really see it. Might just be the new leaves growing out because the rest of it is green. The thing is that this tank is so full I would have no where to put the reds :lol: Maybe some day :)

Ya know, I'm thinking of setting up a 5.5 in the future so I'll PM you to see if you have any available. Shipping should be easy since you're only a few hours away.

Ya know, I'm thinking of setting up a 5.5 in the future so I'll PM you to see if you have any available. Shipping should be easy since you're only a few hours away.

Works for me!

Ok so about the culture: I asked some members (big thanks to you guys) and what they said was to go bare bottom container with nothing, just worms and water. I'm going to try this soon because I need it. Other than that everything is rolling along fine! Dwarf water lettuce is shooting out long roots already, wen from 0 to 2" in a couple days. The Amano's especially like it, they'll hang from them and eat from the surface of the water.

Not much at all done to the tank, just redid the Co2 mixture. More berried shrimp, I think all the females are berried now lol. Plants are getting bigger every day, not enough space to put them. I might have to see if I can get store credit for some and I'll see if I can ship any on here (maybe) Downoi is making progress a little, maybe a couple new leaves. Getting a lot of new, good growth out of the pogoestemon quadrifolius and the pogoestemon erectus.
Other than that nothing has changed. Might have to do a trim soon, depends on if I find a place to put them or if I find a place to sell them. A rescape is on the way for the 16, might have to use it in there.

It's been a while since an update, so here we go!

All female shrimp are berried, baby overload lol. Puffers aren't ever hungry because they'll go on hunting trips for the shrimp lets. I do expect some to make it to adulthood though. No dead shrimp, every one is happy.

Puffers are still doing good. Suspected female does go after the male every now and then if he goes on her "side" of the tank. Nothing serious though. Probably going to move them to a bigger tank in the future, I'll see if I can get something set up by December. It's only the one puffer going after the other, not the other way around. Might be 2 male, I don't know.

Plants - Plants are growing fine, I need to do a trim in the near future. Lots of blyxa and pogo for sure. Lots of anacharis as well. Java moss is growing like a weed, it definitely likes that Co2! Same with the baby tears. I might be selling some of these plants soon in the classifieds section, I'll let you guys know if I do.

Additions - Nothing new that I haven't posted about. I'm looking at getting some more downoi around Thanksgiving time and some glosso in the next couple months as well. Can someone tell me all about glosso and if you have any to spare/sell? Having a hard time finding any locally. I've decided to skip the dwarf hair grass, too much $$$$ and I think that my set up isn't high tech enough.

So I'm really just looking for glosso, if anybody has any please PM me! Thanks! Pics later, doing homework now.

Sounds good. I may be able to buy some baby tears (regular right, not dwarf?) and/or blyxa from you later on. I'll PM you when I need some.

Sounds like things are going well. If you upgraded for the DPs what size tank would you get?

Would love to see some pics (y)

Sounds good. I may be able to buy some baby tears (regular right, not dwarf?) and/or blyxa from you later on. I'll PM you when I need some.

Yep, just regular ones. I've got a lot of blyxa, been saving it for you ;) I'll keep it growing till you want it.

Sounds like things are going well. If you upgraded for the DPs what size tank would you get?

Would love to see some pics (y)

Yep, things are better than ever! I have an extra 10 lying around, probably going to use that if I do upgrade. I would move them to the 16 but there's no way I can move all the snails from there and that's my community tank. Hard to move fish and stuff around with only 2 tanks lol.

Yep, just regular ones. I've got a lot of blyxa, been saving it for you ;) I'll keep it growing till you want it.

Thanks. It may be some time though. I have mopani wood soaking and I'm sure you know how that is... :banghead:

I'll PM you in advance so you have time to let it grow. I really appreciate it.

Thanks. It may be some time though. I have mopani wood soaking and I'm sure you know how that is... :banghead:

I'll PM you in advance so you have time to let it grow. I really appreciate it.

Lol I gave up on drift wood. Unless I can get it pre soaked there's no way I'm putting it in my tanks.
Should I expect to see juvenile shrimp any time soon? How long does it take for them to reach adult size? Or juvenile size? I'v been seeing a lot of babies but no biggerish shrimp. I know it's probably a little early anyway. Just wondering.

So I'm really just looking for glosso, if anybody has any please PM me! Thanks! Pics later, doing homework now.

I have glosso in my 20 long. Also I have all the downoi, it'll be a month or so before I can spare any glosso for sale though...

Cha boi Jessie.

I have glosso in my 20 long. Also I have all the downoi, it'll be a month or so before I can spare any glosso for sale though...

Cha boi Jessie.

Sweet! PM later, going to practice now. How much downoi do you have?

So I got some floaters today (thanks Junglefowl!!) and went ahead and split them between the 16 an this tank. A lot of amazon frog bit, red root floaters and what I suspect to be dwarf water lettuce. Here are some pics, as promised. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443039611.315635.jpg I also tore out most of the anacharis because I need it for my science project. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443039659.718586.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443039706.049978.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443039732.311388.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I got some floaters today (thanks Junglefowl!!) and went ahead and split them between the 16 an this tank. A lot of amazon frog bit, red root floaters and what I suspect to be dwarf water lettuce. Here are some pics, as promised. View attachment 278382 I also tore out most of the anacharis because I need it for my science project. View attachment 278383View attachment 278384View attachment 278385

Looks nice! First shot makes it looks much larger than a 2.5g.

One of my kids used anacharis for a science project back in middle school...now I feel really old :hide:

Looks nice! First shot makes it looks much larger than a 2.5g.

One of my kids used anacharis for a science project back in middle school...now I feel really old :hide:

It's a 5.5 gallon, but that's ok, the title is confusing lol.

The project is seeing if Co2 and fertilizers and light really do help in growing plants. I have 8 mason jars, one stem per jar, 4 getting Co2, some getting no light, some getting fertilizers and some all elements combined. I'm going to measure them to get accurate results. I'm using anacharis because it's a really fast growing plant. What was the project that your child did?

Back
Top Bottom