"New" 55g Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would add some Kerri tetras.. Like 7 or 8. They don't really school. But they are fun to watch..... And they have the right size to survive with the Angels.
Kerri tetras became my favorite type of tetras...

OOhhhh!!! Kerris!!!! beautiful.... unfortunately, I haven't been able to find them anywhere nearby. I did see some when I passed through Dallas, TX back in the spring...but wasn't in the market then.

Im actually thinking on some Harlequin Rasboras... never kept any before. Theoretically would occupy the upper level of the tnk and be really good schooling...

Batt4Christ said:
Im actually thinking on some Harlequin Rasboras... never kept any before. Theoretically would occupy the upper level of the tnk and be really good schooling...

That's sounds great also!!
Keep us posted.

So far:
Still the original angel. The new one (solid black semi-veil didn't survive his temper)
7 cories (2 "julii, 3 pepper, 2 that were labeled as julii, but are not- they look like cross between a julii and a peppered (will try to post a picture).
8 Harlequin Rasboras
10, no 9 Rummynose Tetras (or maybe 8- they are hart to count). Either way- at least one has vanished (don't see a bulging stomach on the angelfish- and even the smallest rummy would have been a real effort to get in the angel's mouth).
One albino bristlenose pleco
1 Zebra Nerite snail
A few pond/blister snails that hitchhiked on plants moved over
1 assassin snail (to deal with the above).

Attachments

• image-3505366329.jpg
    image-3505366329.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 120
Things were going swimmingly well...

But my wife decided it was time for the 2 SAE in the 29g to "go", so after a real pain of chasing them down, I got them moved to the 55.

Within 24 hours, the school of Rummynose were hiding out in the thick water sprite. Yesterday afternoon, a harlequin Rasbora was actin crazy, then died.

This afternoon, I got a text from the wife- a rummynose and a Cory were dead. A couple of hours later, another rummynose.

No sign of illness, water parameters are great- I'm at a loss. Yet after discussion with wife, we have concluded that the SAE are to blame- both for these deaths, and the death of her previous angelfish (in 29g).

The SAE are nearly always super-hyperactive. They chase each other all over, then chase everyone else (except my angelfish). I look at them as terrorists. They don't seem to be trying to eat anyone else, not do they seem to be even actually biting other fish. Just chasing and being hyper, stressing the tankmates.

Attachments

• image-2245444179.jpg
    image-2245444179.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 113
Found a problem when doing my water tests today - Hester was off, and water was 71degrers! No wonder most if the tank was kind of lethargic and nit anxious to eat like normal... Arrgh!

So- long process to raise temp back up to 79-80..

Water perameters:
pH 7.2
Ammonia 0ppm
NitrIte 0ppm
NitrAte 5ppm

API master test kit

Phot update. Bought the CO2 system I posted about a couple of months ago. Have it up and running now.

Attachments

• image-345178451.jpg
    image-345178451.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 105
  • image-3123015274.jpg
    image-3123015274.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 105
CO2 regulator is Hydor... but it isn't the one for paintable tanks (obvious by picture). I'm still trying to figure out how to get it adjusted correctly. Right now, I have it running almost 2 bubbles per second. My pH hasn't budged as of yet (using the included little powerhead-typed diffuser). With the starting pH at 7.6, I'm wondering at what point it will start falling...

I have no idea about the CO2, but just wanted to compliment your tank. It looks nice. Good luck with the CO2 and I will be following along. Good work

An update after getting the CO2 working correctly, addin some wysteria and more rocks (left side).

Attachments

• image-3636657424.jpg
    image-3636657424.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 105
I have another puzzle...

Cories are not doing well in general. Particularly the Julii cories (not true julies- but Trileniatus). One at a time, basically, they are losing their "whiskers" and then sort if lay around lazily and die.

The pfs is not particularly abrasive - a known concern for cories.

Water quality still tests out good (ammonia 0, nitrIte 0, Nitrate 5ppm. My regular water changed don't seem to make a difference.

I have list a few rummynose and harlequin rasboras as well. They all appear healthy with good color the. The next day- dead.

I might chalk the small fish up to the angels picking on then (though I've not witnessed it), but still- I'm puzzled.

Somebody is enjoying the new rock pile!

Attachments

• image-1707796135.jpg
    image-1707796135.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 109
Well- since fixing the CO2 diffuser, replacing the actinic tube w/a 6700k lamp (now running 2x 10,000k, 1x6700k), plants are taking off! The wysteria on the left had doubled in size in a week, amazon sword is pearling, and the water sprite is also exploding. While the ludwigia has grown, it hasn't been as pronounced.

Oh- I forgot to add a picture!

Attachments

• image-3275722557.jpg
    image-3275722557.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 99
Just an update- my "schools" are back up to "strength" (Rummynose and Rasboras). Our old bully angelfish (nicknamed "Stripe" has met his match- the more recent gold Angel has put him in his place!

Since finally getting the CO2 system running, plants are going nuts. If I have time, I'll probably list some water sprite and maybe some wysteria for sale this next week, along with some amazon swords.

Thought i would share some pics.

Attachments

• image-195968400.jpg
    image-195968400.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 98
  • image-1151604327.jpg
    image-1151604327.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1741115503.jpg
    image-1741115503.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 84
I believe you have the myth of 55 gallon tanks being hard to aquascape, busted. That is awesome and thanks for sharing. I am a novice to plants and am slowly getting my 55 gallon experience.

Back
Top Bottom