New 55gal planted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The lemons have a translucent yellow body with deep yellow fins and the upper half of their iris is red. They are quite striking once they settle in and color up.

Rivercats said:
The lemons have a translucent yellow body with deep yellow fins and the upper half of their iris is red. They are quite striking once they settle in and color up.

I think at least 5, & their colors sound amazing.. Also, is there another top swimmer? I heard that the hatchets jump out of water, & my tank will not have a lid..

EDIT: also, I think I might transfer my Endlers to the 55, & make my 10gal a shrimp only tank, if the Livebearers would do alright in the tank..

So, something like duckweed, or water lettuce? Idk much about floating plants. Lol. & I like them too maybe I can convince them to do them.. We will see.. & Thank you.

Duckweed is kind of messy. Dwarf or small water lettuce, small water hyacinth, and frogbit are all good ones. Plus you can easily float and grow water sprite which is easy in pretty much any light.

Alright, I could do some nice looking floating plants.. Thank you. I hope to have this thing up & running by next week.. Filter is gonna be bought of Amazon, I think they are going with a Fluval 306?

I run a Fluval 406 on the 55's. You might find a 306 is alittle small. I'm really happy with the 406 on the 55's.

I thought a 306 would be fine with it being planted, as not really needing all the extra gallons per hour?

It might be but I run the 406's in 55 planted tanks and nothing gets blown away. I aim the outflow pointed straight out and then angled towards the other end of the tank alittle. I find I get just enough flow all through the tank. Really guess it's just a matter of choice.

Rivercats said:
It might be but I run the 406's in 55 planted tanks and nothing gets blown away. I aim the outflow pointed straight out and then angled towards the other end of the tank alittle. I find I get just enough flow all through the tank. Really guess it's just a matter of choice.

Yeah.. Well I know I'm not paying for it.. But I'll let ya know what they decide.. (won't hurt if they have to buy another canister.. I can always find a place for it here) lol.

aqua_chem said:
Say no to duckweed. Water lettuce, frogbit, and red root floater are all good floaters.

I think I have some duckweed in my 10 gallon, was free with some of the other plants I had.. Stuff grows like crazy.. & when I get home, I'll look up all the ones you guys suggested..

Would a Koralia Nano 240 be enough to add a little more circulation for this soon to be heavily planted tank? Or should I do a Nano 425??

I use two of the Koralia Nano 240 in the 220g so one would be plenty of extra circulation in a 55.

Rivercats said:
I use two of the Koralia Nano 240 in the 220g so one would be plenty of extra circulation in a 55.

Okay, thank you! One last question.. Would the Apistogramma be compatible with all the other choice of fish.. My family like them a little better than the Rams?

They might have a spat with your angels from time to time, but I think that a 55 is plenty large enough for a pair of both.

aqua_chem said:
They might have a spat with your angels from time to time, but I think that a 55 is plenty large enough for a pair of both.

Okay. Well I'll let then decide.. I know I got some nice driftwood.. So there should be some decent spots for them to claim..

Fishandmusic81 said:
Real nice layout so far I love the driftwood
Attach java fern to all of it

Thanks! Only thing that makes me second guess it is maybe too much driftwood? But I plan on a lot of java ferns with some Anubias nana on it.. Tonight I'll go over my plant list, see what you guys think.. & try to get a better picture of the tank with my lights on.

fishfool58 said:
Thanks! Only thing that makes me second guess it is maybe too much driftwood? But I plan on a lot of java ferns with some Anubias nana on it.. Tonight I'll go over my plant list, see what you guys think.. & try to get a better picture of the tank with my lights on.

Never enough driftwood if placed well IMO!

Back
Top Bottom