New 55gal planted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rivercats said:
Okay, told you the wrong name on my HOB filters, they are Tetra Wispers, here is a link to what I have, which I do have one on a 55g. I have the EX70, the biggest one. The Fluval C4 is to small. Here is the link:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfmc=3578+3579+19169&pcatid=19169&r=33o

Okay, I thought it would be too small, I'll look into that.. & would a small koralia pump be good to have? Or do I need no circulation? & I've never used tetra whisper hobs before.. Always been marineland or aquaclear..thanks!

If your used to those HOB filters you should just get a big one of them (if they make big ones). At Fosters and Smith they have the new Wispers like I linked you to and they have the old style Wispers which are cheaper. I've always had good luck with my Wispers. In a 55 you shouldn't need a powerhead (I think). I've always used a canister on anything over a 30. Now on the one goldfish tank that is a 55g I use both a Fluval canister and the Wisper 70 because of the high bio-load, not because of lack of flow. I think if you do weekly waterchanges and feed lightly a big HOB should be plenty. I wouldn't spend any extra money now, just wait and see if you need it later. And if you would decide to get a powerhead get the nano Koralia pump as that will move plenty of water. I have 2 of the smallest Nano K's in my 220g to move water in dead zones and they work just fine. Had two larger K's already and tried to use them and they blew the plants and fish all over and mind you that was in a 220.

How big would you say a filter would be? 6+ times the gallon per hour of tank? & my Cichlid tank I have one to keep the waste off the bottom of the tank, so I'll wait & try one later if I need.. With the tank being 4 ft long I might need one to help with circulation on other side maybe.. I'll wait on that though.. Thanks!!

So I think I've came up with a fish stock list.. Tell me what you guys think?
2 angel fish
2 rams of some sort, either blue or bolivian.
4-5 black kuhlii loaches
4-6 ottos
4-6 silver hatchets
After that, I'm debating on tetras, maybe 2-3 species..
Congo, Bloodfins, Cardinals, Rummynose, Lemon, & Diamond.. Not sure yet.. Still debating..

As for plants I'm thinkin about the third biggest packs of live plants from LiveAquaria.com.. Then a bunch of java ferns..

Sounds good. Were it me I'd do 6 or either cardinals or rummy nose, then 6 diamond or lemons. That way you have two different body shapes which makes each tetra species stand out from the other. That is how I try to do tanks. If you get too many of the same shaped fish, even if they are different species, it looks jumbled and no one species really stands out.

Not sure on buying packages of plants since they can send ones of various light levels. Although I'm picky and want to pick out exactly what I want. If the price is good go for it.

I might do that with cardinal & lemons maybe? That way the blue & yellow in each stand out.. & when I get home I'll look up the plants & link them..

Lemons are nifty and, in my opinion, under-utilized fish. I had a group of them in a 40B before. They didn't take to well to the co2, but really colored up after I got rid of it in that particular tank. They school better than most fish, which makes them attractive. That being said, they were definitely the jerks of the tank. They were definitely mean to physical with each other fairly regularly, but never caused any actual damage. The confrontations can be less than peaceful, so if that bothers you they may not be a good choice. They never bothered the other fish really, but there really weren't any other fish to target in the tank, so they may or may not be good fish for traditionally targeted fish like beta or angels.

Hmm, well I was trying to add the other color, maybe do some more research on those first.. Is there another tetra with a body still like those that'll add a little color that may not be quite as a risk?

This is the stock list.. I got it for a 75g tank though.. I think it might be better to get it.. Here it is..

Attachments

• image-2568388067.jpg
    image-2568388067.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 95
I never had problems with my lemons but each fish and group are all different. Right now I have a school of Diamonds, which are shaped like the Lemons. Pictures don't do them justice. They have irridescent multi-colored bodies and their scales glitter under the light. They also get better coloring as they age. Mine have alot of blue/purple irridenscent color to them but mine are pretty big now. They school really tight in my tank. Bleeding heart tetra's are that basic body shape but I've never kept them and know little about them.

Rivercats said:
I never had problems with my lemons but each fish and group are all different. Right now I have a school of Diamonds, which are shaped like the Lemons. Pictures don't do them justice. They have irridescent multi-colored bodies and their scales glitter under the light. They also get better coloring as they age. Mine have alot of blue/purple irridenscent color to them but mine are pretty big now. They school really tight in my tank. Bleeding heart tetra's are that basic body shape but I've never kept them and know little about them.

Well I was just looking for something with the color, to stand out in my tank..

Lemons are worth trying in my opinion. As I said, mine never really bothered others, although I have a good sized school. Worse case scenario you can take them back and try something else.

Fishandmusic81 said:
Definitely lemons I have a school of seven and when their colors come out their beautiful and don't really bother the other fish

Cool, thank you.. I'll be trying them, so far I have color wise, black silver angels, the color of the rams, black loaches, black silver ottos, silver hatchets, blue red tetra, then I wanted to add some lemons, assuming they are of a yellow color.

Update.. Only have the tank, & driftwood.. Bought too much driftwood for the 55, but who doesn't need spare driftwood laying around.. Anyways here it is so far.. Can't wait to get it up & running soon! & I think my family decided on marble hatchets instead of silver, but would the two go together alright?

Attachments

• image-1691665647.jpg
    image-1691665647.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 90
  • image-1730621089.jpg
    image-1730621089.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 88
Marble hatchets are my favorite but in answer to your question, yes they go together just fine.

Back
Top Bottom