New 55gallon tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitesurfjesus

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 29gallon planted freshwater with just a single bulb for the plants. The new 55 gallon I have to make my own light set up. Can I run one bulb for the plants and another super bright bulb to bring out the colors I plan on having in the tank??

Also. Has anybody had any experience with the submergible led lights. Thought that might be a good look too

Well that's not much help. That's why I joined this site to do my research. Best way for research is to ask people who are knowledgeable in what you are trying to research.

Well that's not much help. That's why I joined this site to do my research. Best way for research is to ask people who are knowledgeable in what you are trying to research.

I can't remember everything off the top of my head... It's like 80-95 is low light, 96-114 is moderate etc... I don't think that's right though:p.

Sorry I don't exactly have an answer for you, but I can provide a chart I found on the planted tank.

Also, I wouldn't really downplay any advice or information you get from members here. I ask my questions too, but you should never fully rely on anyone else to do your own research.

This site can be very helpful, but don't use it as a crutch. Sorry for the mini rant.

Attachments

• image-2587686352.jpg
    image-2587686352.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 32
There is an awesome link in my sig about PAR. It's the LED One. It gives you lights that will work on your tank and their PAR. 10-30 PAR is low light. 30-80 is medium and 80-120 is high light.

No worries. Not using this as a crutch just as a guide. Thanks for the info picture. This is the kind of help I was looking for. Being pointed in the right direction. Any kind of google search I've been doing seems to just come up with links for things to buy for a fish tank.

Forget the WPG rule. It all depends on what type of plants you want for the lighting you'll need. For example of I have all low light plants ,anubias, java fern, a crypt and some amazon swords and run only one 48' T8 bulb and have good growth. A double strip T8 or single T5 HO will allow you to grow medium light plants. People don't realize you don't need as much light as you think to grow plants. If you're going with higher light plants then I would suggest a dual T5 HO but then you'll be forced to run a co2 system will all that light or you will get only one thing to grow and that's algae.

Always start off with as minimum of lighting as you'll need for the type of plants you want. You don't need all these fancy setups like you may think. Having a successful planted tank is all about balance....ex. How many fish you have, how much lighting, fertilizer, how long you leave the lights on and all that. Without balance you're going to run into problems along the way. It's kinda trial and error. Every tank is different. Certain plants they may be tough to grow may grow fine for you, then you may struggle with some that are perceived to be easier .... Happened with me and I'm sure many others.

Also would like to throw in that water parameters play a big role too. Some plants prefer soft or hard water , example jungle Val prefers hard water and if yours is soft you can pretty much forget about growing that.

Back
Top Bottom