New 75 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
glen, can i ask you a slightly off topic question? how do you avoid algae in your no-ferts, no-co2 tanks? do you ever get bba/staghorn?

Hello zenkatydid, in the tanks I've got running with no ferts or C02 I have them packed with plants with not to heavy a fish load. The lighting is moderate as well, not more than 1 to 1.5 watts per gallon. Tanks are filtered well, lots of current in the tanks. The filters are kept clean, they get cleaned every two weeks. Also I don't overfeed the fish, one feeding a day and thats it. So far, so good. I did have a bought with BBA once in a ten gallon, but only when I tried to hit it with to much light. It was very hard to get rid of, many water changes and less light eventually killed it off. Again, got to test the limits to see what they are :)
I'll get some more shots of the tanks up once I get things settled a little more, just moved my son's 25 upstairs and got it running. Moving sucks, don't plan on doing again anytime soon!

Thanks all, small update. Tank is doing well though I'm starting to see some green dust algea on the glass, nothing to worry about. Tank looks pretty much the same except I had to remove all the Althernanthera from the left side, it just rotted away. I replaced it with Ludwigia glandulosa which is taking off and growing well, should fill in the hole in the left side soon. Turning a nice colour as well, should go a nice wine red. Funny how some plants do well and others do poorly. Half the battle is figuring out which ones do well for you.:)
Here is a shot looking out from the second room that makes up my tank rooms. It's alot smaller than the room with the 75 and 20 in it, but still big enough to get my high light ten and two low light tanks, a 20 and a 15, plus my computer and desk as well. The dresser you can see with the high light ten on it has room for two more tens. I'll show you guys the other tanks when there worthy of some pics :)

Hey all, small update on the 75, looks pretty much the same except I got a background on. Growth is good, getting good pearling as well. The tank is not using up ferts like I expected with the light I have on it, running 4 x 65 wts CF 6700k at the moment. Tank is holding at 15 ppm N03 after 2 days, starting with an initial dose of 20 ppm. Also holding at 1 to 2 ppm P04 after the initial dose of 2 ppm. Going to up my C02 a bit to see if I can get the plants to suck up the ferts a little faster. No algea problems as of yet, though the tank is still very new, they always look great for the first couple of months, I find takes a while for potential problems to rear up.

That is absolutely stunning Glenc. I always love your tanks though, and this definately isn't going to be an exception. I can already get a feel for how this is going to grow in, and I'm excited to see if I end up being right or not.

Lookin good Glen. You want a large Pleco? :)

Give it a bit of time, you'll get used to the dosing for a larger tank. It takes a lot more plant mass to consume nutrients when there is so much water..

You test your GH/KH in that 75 yet?

Thanks Purrbox, if we ever meet up I'm going to give you a big kiss! I love your tanks as well, you are a constant source of inspiration for me, your sense of scale and choice of plants always blows me away.
Thanks for the advice Wiz, and no pleco's for me! At least not in my planted tanks! I do have an 8" sailfin plec in my 45 gallon hex, the plants in there are all fake silk. He's happy in there.
The water in this house is exactly the same as my old place, I moved just down the road. Kh is 18, GH is off the charts. That's using the Hagon kit, all I've got at the moment. I'm using a drop checker to keep an eye on my C02 levels, have been using one for some time now, had it in the old place. It's quite acurate, like doing a constant ph test. Judging by the colour of the regent in the drop checker in the 75, I could still use a bit more C02.

That's a beautiful new place Glen. I love the way the tanks look with the wood floors :)

The 75 is looking good. I'm sure it will take the plants a while before they start sucking up the NO3 goodness since they're still acclimating to the new tank a bit. Can't wait to see how things turn out :)

Your tank looks great, makes my 75 gallon look like garbage. I can't wait to see it with the fish.

Hey all, small update. Very happy with the turface so far, Ive pulled a few plants to investigate, root growth is healthy and full. The turface is very light but stays put very well. Nutrient uptake is still slower than anticipated for the light on this tank, as the plant mass grows in this will change so I am told. I shouldn't complain, so far this tank has been a breeze to maintain. Need the foreground to fill in as well as the rear left side. Lots of L. glandulosa back there, starting to take off :)

Not much has changed is this tank, still not using the ferts I thought it would. Getting a feel for what will grow and what won't. Maybe I'll flirt with disaster and add more light! C02 is as high as I can go without fish stress at water change time, right around 40-50 ppm. Drop checker is just starting to turn light green- yellow.
I removed the crypt parva in the left side foreground, added a piece of driftwood with 4 small jave ferns tied to it, tricky trying to do that yourself! It was late, everyone was in bed!
I plan to use the java ferns to fill in the left mid-ground a bit. Hoping the glosso will take off and give me a decent foreground from center to left side soon, E tennellis is filling in the right front. Should be nice when it all fills in :)

Glen, stunning as always, and bushing up nicely.

Glosso is growing great here, so fast the loaches have considered it a threat and are ripping it all up. I have a 32w 50/50 "Lightning Rod" T6 10000K/Actinic over it and it is staying very low (1 leaf coming up from the substrate and that's all.)

Wow, great tank. I love the mix of textures and colors. The reds really pop and I like the two (?) bushy Echinodorus species on the right.

I had to chuckle when you said the java ferns are tricky to tie by yourself. They're tricky to tie with someone helping you too! :)

Back
Top Bottom