New 75 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Absolutely stunning Glen!

I couldn't make a planted tank turn out half that good if I tried. :mrgreen:

Hey Glen, the tank looks great! With my recent lighting cut back your tank and mine are at almost exactly the same wpg...so looking at yours gives me ideas for what mine can do. I love the look of the Lobelia in your tank, I really want to try that plant.

Very nice. I look forward to seeing how the foreground pulls things together once filled in.

Thanks for the kind comments guys, once I can get the foreground to fill in as Purrbox said, it should pull it all together. A nice foreground has eluded me in this tank. Could be the lower light or possibly the turface. Time will tell.

Hello Newfound, which Lobelia, large or small? I have both in there. Let me know, I'll send you some as soon as I get a bit more. It grows fairly slow so you don't have to trim it all the time. Then again, that could be the lower light, haven't grown either version in high light as yet.

Whichever one is forming that nice hedge in the midground....the last time I tried to have someone mail me Lobelia it disintegrated en route, so i think I might try to get it locally, especially since it is so hot out now. Thank you for the offer, though!

That's the small version. It is very easy to transfer and re-plant, sends out tons of roots and takes easily. Just snap off the top and re-plant, I've done it all across the front-midground to get that hedge. It's done well in my extremely hard water.
I say snap as the stems are quite hard and stiff, breaks off easy. Hope you can get a hold of some of this cool little plant. :)

I really like your aquascaping Glenc. Very nice job! Keep the pics coming.

Ok guys, tore it up tonight, re-did the tank. Still running 130 wts cf but have one itchy trigger finger on the switch to flip on the other 130 wts. We'll see how the tank does over the next few weeks on the lower light. Wanted to create an open section in the center, going to try to get the clover to fill in the space. Foreground is coming along slowly. Got alot of growing in to do fill in the left and right sides. Lot of plants in there, lets see what they do :)

Attachments

• img_0532_213.jpg
    img_0532_213.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 41
  • img_0534_126.jpg
    img_0534_126.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 47
Looking very nice there. I've been messing around with my 55G lately. It has more hardscape than my other tanks, and fewer plants, and no CO2 and medium lighting. Will see how things go with it now. And got my fire eels too, they are just too cool, lol.

Thanks for the comments all, I had to chuckle when I read your comment Rich, interesting sounds like a polite way to say your not sure if you like it or not! Your manners and opinion are appreciated! I'm not sure I like it either! I'll let it grow in and if it sucks, I'll rip it up again. That's the beauty and fun of our hobby. If you have the energy you can tear it up and re-do it as many times as you like, just maybe you get magic, or at least your interpretation of it :)

Looks great! I can't wait to see it once the center fills in.

I just got some Lobelia for my 55 and it is growing already under the reduced lights, so I am hopeful.

Looking good Glen!

Have you every thought about adding is a different type of substrate to make a river through the middle of the hills you got there?

Hey rkilling1,the different substrate is a very cool idea, Depending on how the plants grow in I might just do that. It would really help define it. I have a couple of bags of eco kicking around. Thanks for the tip.

Waterpond, you put the idea into words perfectly, that's exactly what I hope to achieve! :)

This is what gave me the idea:

361.jpg

or even:

IMG_0681apc_original.jpg

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...ified-valley-formally-wisteria-island-12.html

Yes, I am still alive! Been working two jobs lately, no time. I tore a couple of my tanks down as I was letting them slide. My 10 and 15 gallon tanks are gone for now. I'll set them up again when I have more time to devote to them. I am only running my 75 and my old 20 gallon now.
Here are a few shots of my 75 tonight. Still running 130 wts CF, easier to maintain as far as keeping algea at bay. Still getting decent growth and colour. Always a major work in progress, gave up the two island idea, back to a full tank of stuff. Background is a little bare in a couple of spots, should look better when it fills in. :)

Attachments

• img_0946_387.jpg
    img_0946_387.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 62
  • img_0950_140.jpg
    img_0950_140.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom