New CO2 system... Your opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is. This is basically the same concept as the Carbo Plus system and will have the same problems. There's a link in the CO2 Sticky to a discussion on why the Carbo Plus system should be avoided.

Point, Click, DELETE.

Thanks guys. I should know better than to cheap-out.

I have to read the docs regarding Pressurized CO2... i realized while i was browsing E-bay that i have NO CLUE the parts i use. I.E. Electronic solinoids? i thought a regulator would do it.

The three "R's" "read... read and read."

Ttyl!

That thing was a $150 bucks too. If you spent that much on your CO2 setup you may have spent too much.

So in short, it is more expensive, less effective, and at some point the carbon block will get used up and you will have to find a replacement.

OK... I'm seriously looking to buy a system, but I'm looking to save a few bucks. I've seen this, but i dont know if the website is reputible, or if the system has everything i absolutely need (solinoid?)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...4RS&ref=3312&subref=AA&GCID=C12188x003&ctt=60

It bothers me that it says "semi automatic"

Can anyone give me their opinion on this?

Is there a "CO2 Checklist" when buying these things? I hear some talk of high and low pressure systems (i've decided to go with High pressure for relibility reasons)

Dr. Foster and Smith are as reliable as you get. That sytem has eveything you need. You can probably peice it together for less money, but that would do the trick.

Yep, the above system appears to use a simple timer to turn CO2 on and off, vs. a pH controller which would make it a fully automated CO2 system since it would know when you needed more CO2.

But a lot of people, like myself, just run CO2 24/7 anyway so no big deal.

But for the above system, you could get this for $73
http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/pr333.htm

and then buy a little CO2 tubing, and make your own reactor for less than $100.

just another option.

Thanks Malkore!

So i'd basically have to tinker until i found the "sweet spot" for my tank? PH would remain FAIRLY stable, as it'd be linked into my lighting power?

And while that would do it... does anyone know if it is good quality? I hear that if you let the pressure get to low in some systmes, it'll blow off and can wreck your regulator. Can/will that happen with this?

As well, i can't seem to find this on google: Do Paintbal CO2 canisters have the same interface/adapter as welding supplies? The Paintball place in brampon will fill 5 pounds for 4 bucks, which i think is reasonable if it lasts a few months!

Where does the needle Valve come into this? or does it not require one for some reason?

I've contacted the fire department over any registration, apparently i have to register any high-pressure canisters in residential area's. We had to do it for our gas tank when my mom got into glass bead-making. (but that was flamible, I imagine this will be no issue)

BTW... Is that a WoW character? I'm on forgottencoast and kargoth :p

a paintball cylinder will not fit. the paintball cylinders have a small oring on the top of the threads and the threads dont start right away there is a small gap first. i tried on a regulator i had but it may be different for other regulators. 4 dollar fill is very reasonable. the needle valve is just simply a smaller valve that allows the tiniest amout of the gas to escape giving u that 2-3 bubbles per second u want. without the needle valve the gas would be pouring out alot faster than u needed.

paintball cylinders arent' the same fitting, and are too small. you'd be filling it at least once a month, vs. every 6 months.

OK..... well i've called around to various welding supply shops... the smallest canister i can get is 20 pounds, and i'd have to RENT it for 75 bucks a year. A fill for that is 31 bucks.
How much do they typically go for? How much did you pay for yours, and is it actually YOURS, or do you rent it as well?

u can get them on ebay and on www.aquariumplants.com for around 60(ebay) with 30 shipping) and like 75 on aquarium plants. both for 5 pound cylinders. look at aquariumplants.com to see your options. i was thinking about getting one from there but havent decided yet. there is a store in brampton not to far from u but i gotta remember what it is called... will get back to ya. they sell the cylinders there for about 100 or so for a 5 pound.

***EDIT***
i found some options for u so u dont have to search.
option 1. EBAY
option 2. aquarium plants
option 3. Aquarium Depot, 7955 Torbram Road, Unit # (I forgot to note the unit number but there's a sign), Brampton, Ontario, L6T 5B9, phone 905-790-1108.

i hope that will help u on your way to getting it.

ive found a place called camcarb. They want 120 bucks for a 20 pound steel CO2 canister Filled. This i find much better than renting one for 75 a year.

As for the regulator, i think i'll go with the milwakee one from aquariumplants.com First i'll call them anbd see if they can under-value it or even declare it as gift. If not, I don't want to risk getting Duty nailed on. Brokerage fees make it unreasonably expensive.

I will probably have to buy this in stages, as i'm on the student budget. I am use the poor mans method to link it up to my 15 gallon as well. (seeing i can only squeeze in a 700ml DIY Behind the tank :-(

about 2 feet tall and 10 inches wide. It'll fit behind my desk just fine :p

As well... Its about 10 bucks... to fill a 5, 10, or 20 pound tank. Better Value
AS WELL: They want 105 for a 5 pound... 115 for a 10 pound... or 120 for a 20 pound :p

I have a choice between steel and aluminium, but i chose steel because its 40 bucks cheaper (though its 10 pounds heavier)

Back
Top Bottom