New mini 5.5gal! Advice plz!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cool..! thanks. just like you said, was dark blue at first. I finished my DIY co2, successfully got it to about one bubble per second. Color in drop checker started turning green. I bought some small random feeder shrimp, dirt cheap, and a moss ball as well. Now... I think time to get some HC.

Great, keep going

i forgot to add that i threw in a couple strands of anacharis... they do look like they ARE on steroids. stems shooting, looks more green and strong, and they're pearling as well. great.

These pictures are about a month old.

image-261073341.jpg

Attachments

• image-4020142601.jpg
    image-4020142601.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 118
This is what it looks like today.

Attachments

• image-2612585305.jpg
    image-2612585305.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 130
  • image-1152353229.jpg
    image-1152353229.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 128
  • image-3641427350.jpg
    image-3641427350.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 128
  • image-384472720.jpg
    image-384472720.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 117
  • image-3296954250.jpg
    image-3296954250.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 117
  • image-2827666238.jpg
    image-2827666238.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 147
  • image-3977106605.jpg
    image-3977106605.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 138
Thanks guys. I learned a lot of things from this forum. I was at work in a rush yesterday so I was only able to post pics. I'm actually at work again. Let me explain what's going on with this tank.

I did get my regulator a couple days ago, along with a paintball tank my friend gave me. But I was too busy to get it filled, so no co2 yet. Only DIY co2, one bps, thru my internal filter.

Lights on 9 hrs a day, 26 watts of 6500k.
Internal Aqueon filter.
Fluval Stratum.
DIY Co2.
Mini Seiryu Stones.
7 shrimp.
Plenty snails.
HC carpet.
Some kind of crypt grass..?
Threw in some baby amazons.

Help me ID these floating plants / leaves. Close up pics coming right up. Only several small leaves came with my HC, and I thought 'why not' and left it in the tank. Now, I have plenty of it. I think there are two kinds. They are very small with thin roots going straight down.

Attachments

• image-742567898.jpg
    image-742567898.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 97
  • image-849273680.jpg
    image-849273680.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 96
Thanks guys. I learned a lot of things from this forum. I was at work in a rush yesterday so I was only able to post pics. I'm actually at work again. Let me explain what's going on with this tank.

I did get my regulator a couple days ago, along with a paintball tank my friend gave me. But I was too busy to get it filled, so no co2 yet. Only DIY co2, one bps, thru my internal filter.

Lights on 9 hrs a day, 26 watts of 6500k.
Internal Aqueon filter.
Fluval Stratum.
DIY Co2.
Mini Seiryu Stones.
7 shrimp.
Plenty snails.
HC carpet.
Some kind of crypt grass..?
Threw in some baby amazons.

Help me ID these floating plants / leaves. Close up pics coming right up. Only several small leaves came with my HC, and I thought 'why not' and left it in the tank. Now, I have plenty of it. I think there are two kinds. They are very small with thin roots going straight down.

Duckweed. Noooooo duckweed!

Predfan27 said:
Duckweed. Noooooo duckweed!

rofl!!! I know man. That stuff drives me crazy, too. Shades all the nice plants. Nothing a fish net can't handle though. Hopefully. lol

I don't mind it. It looks pretty nice. As long as my tank is thriving. I don't like the scaping though, any suggestions are welcome. Maybe a small piece of driftwood..? Some moss on the driftwood...? We'll see how everything goes haha.

I don't mind it. It looks pretty nice. As long as my tank is thriving. I don't like the scaping though, any suggestions are welcome. Maybe a small piece of driftwood..? Some moss on the driftwood...? We'll see how everything goes haha.

You don't mind it, until it takes over the tank, blocks all the light, plugs up your filter, or travels via your hand to another tank and does the same there. Had a 40g long once that I had what seemed like a never ending battle with it. Hopefully in a 5.5 it will stay manageable.

I think as far aquascaping goes, your missing some taller background stem plants. I know that tank isn't over tall, but without that dimension from a background plant, it can seem very flat.

Nice setup. Love the carpet. I have space for a small build and this is inspiring.
Can't really offer exact scaping advice but something diagonal off center might fill the void.
The other plant appears to be water fern (azolla). Just like duckweed; rapid growth and highly invasive.

I find that the beauty of this tank is in it's absence of tall plants. You could try adding something like a white background to enhance the striking effect the tank already has. The background plants may start to look out of place if you end up with a solid line of them along the back wall. Keeping them grouped near the stones ensures a more natural feel. I mean honestly, your tank is jaw dropping considering how new it is. Adding to much may take away something. Maybe Fort would be the guy to ask.

maybe a thing manzanita drift wood diagonal or across/ the back... it'd be cool to see the shrimp hanging out there.

hc doesnt seem to be rooting like i've seen in optimal conditions. maybe i should up the lights? or do it the same time i get my co2 tank up and running? maybe it is the duckweed... oh boy.

so, yea, two kinds of floating plants... we'll see what happens.

Floating plants will certainly shade the HC or anything else under it. Removing it is a good idea. I mean, a lot of people even forgo using clear glass in order to eek out the full energy of their lights. HC is so demanding. You may want to upgrade the lights eventually, but you certainly can grow HC with what you already have. I mean, just look how fast you carpeted your tank! Can't argue to much with results like that. That duckweed won't be helpful even with stronger lights.

yup , i guess. i think ima go fishing for some 'duckweed' and get rid of it.

Give it to someone with goldfish. I haven't met a goldfish yet that can't keep duckweed in check.

Love that tank. Amazing progress.

Back
Top Bottom