Please Clear Up My Confusion About Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianeberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 36 gallon planted tank for fish and a 10 gallon planted tank for shrimp. I already have a firm grasp of DIY CO2 systems, but it's lighting that's a bit confusing. Some manufacturers clearly exaggerate when they call 15W lamps "high output" and I have a hard time accepting forum threads from 2005 because so much technology has changed in 7 years.

I currently have a 30W 36 inch daylight fluorescent T8 on my 36 gallon tank. It lights up very well and my plants are really green. I do not have CO2 injection on this tank yet, but I'm in the process of gathering the materials for a DIY build with sugar, yeast, etc. The actual bulb I have is called Eclipse Natural Daylight F30T8 made by Marineland.

In my 10 gallon setup, I have an 18 inch 15W full spectrum lamp made by Aqueon. This light gives off more of a bland tone of light compared to my 30W natural daylight on my 36 gallon. I want to grow a baby dwarf tear carpet (I do have proper substrate for this), various mosses, and other shrimp friendly plants. In my opinion, the 15W light just doesn't seem like it gives off enough light. Furthermore, it doesn't even look good when compared to my other tank.

I have attached photos of both aquaria for you to view and see what you think.

Anyway, I have looked into T5 high output lighting and asked a lot about it on this forum. From what I can see, many experienced users say that 1) T5 is useless unless you get a quality fixture, lamp, and reflectors and 2) The average T5 HO selling in the 20 inch model has an output of 50w or so, which is too much for a 10 gallon. T5 lights are also very expensive and if I can avoid having to buy one that would be great.

From my research, LED lights are very new to the aquarium hobby. They are efficient on electricity, but it's a tad harder to choose a fixture as there are so many options. Some LED systems say for "general use" and are around $50 and some specifically say for plant use and cost $300. Due to this confusion, I have always shied away from going with LED. I think the shimmer effect that they create is nice to look at, but the technology is just too new for me to trust with both my plants and fish.

What many experienced Aquarium Advice users have been saying to use for small tanks is a household compact fluorescent bulb from Lowes or Walmart. You would want to specifically buy the daylight ones in a wattage that would work in your incandescent fixture so you don't start a fire or burn anything out. My girlfriend is running a 10 gallon starter kit with mollies and her algae is really bad. This morning, I ordered a 4 pack of daylight CFLs to replace the incandescent lights she has now. I have linked to the Amazon item below, but they are 14w, 5000K daylight CFLs.

Ecosmart 14 Watt Daylight 4 - Pack (60 Watt Equivalent) - Amazon.com

After reading on this forum and some others, I found a lot of people said to treat the wattage on CFLs the same as wattage on T5 lamps. So two these two 14w lights would add up to be equivalent to a 28w T5? I know the watts per gallon rule is pretty obsolete, but I just want something to compare it to.

According to Amazon, my four pack of these bulbs will arrive on Saturday and I will install them on my girlfriend's tank to see if I even like the color as I am very picky. I like natural light not an ugly yellow color or blue as some lights produce. I also like it to be very bright, but not too bright that it hurts my eyes, plants, or fish.

Do you reccomend buying a hood that supports these CFLs and using the remaining two in my 10 gallon tank? My girlfriend's 10 gallon will only use two of the bulbs and I'll have two left over which will nag my curiosity unless I get a recommendation... I would be replacing the 15W T8 strip light that I mentioned earlier with two of these 14w CFLs. Is this overkill? Not enough light? Perfect for growing plants? Or should I upgrade to the 27w CFL bulbs?

Also, it would be great if you can clarify the main difference between T8, T5, and CFL for growing plants like baby tears as a carpet. Any information is appreciated :)

P.S. I'm also planning on adding DIY CO2 as mentioned before and I'm wondering if it will be necessary after putting these lights in my girlfriend's 10 gallon.

Attachments

• IMG_20121010_200243.jpg
    IMG_20121010_200243.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20121011_171148.jpg
    IMG_20121011_171148.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 91
Anyway, I have looked into T5 high output lighting and asked a lot about it on this forum. From what I can see, many experienced users say that 1) T5 is useless unless you get a quality fixture, lamp, and reflectors
That's not true. T5 is still great, it's just that the cheaper fixtures do not put out as much par as the better built ones. They are still formidable though and serve a good purpose in the right setups. It's really a balancing act and it's very easy to go overkill if you aren't careful.

and 2) The average T5 HO selling in the 20 inch model has an output of 50w or so, which is too much for a 10 gallon. T5 lights are also very expensive and if I can avoid having to buy one that would be great.
That's absolutely true. t5ho's on a 10g is an extreme amount of light.

What many experienced Aquarium Advice users have been saying to use for small tanks is a household compact fluorescent bulb from Lowes or Walmart. You would want to specifically buy the daylight ones in a wattage that would work in your incandescent fixture so you don't start a fire or burn anything out. My girlfriend is running a 10 gallon starter kit with mollies and her algae is really bad. This morning, I ordered a 4 pack of daylight CFLs to replace the incandescent lights she has now. I have linked to the Amazon item below, but they are 14w, 5000K daylight CFLs.
The wattage thing shouldn't be difficult since CFL's have a much lower wattage than their incandescent equivalents. However I don't think that's going to solve the algae issues, it might actually make them worse.

After reading on this forum and some others, I found a lot of people said to treat the wattage on CFLs the same as wattage on T5 lamps. So two these two 14w lights would add up to be equivalent to a 28w T5? I know the watts per gallon rule is pretty obsolete, but I just want something to compare it to.
T5ho's are going to deliver much more par than an equivalent wattage of spiral CFLs.

Do you reccomend buying a hood that supports these CFLs and using the remaining two in my 10 gallon tank? My girlfriend's 10 gallon will only use two of the bulbs and I'll have two left over which will nag my curiosity unless I get a recommendation... I would be replacing the 15W T8 strip light that I mentioned earlier with two of these 14w CFLs. Is this overkill? Not enough light? Perfect for growing plants? Or should I upgrade to the 27w CFL bulbs?
One thing to keep in mind is that the bigger wattage bulbs are also physically larger and may not fit in the housing very well. The 14w's will do the job just fine for your setup.

Also, it would be great if you can clarify the main difference between T8, T5, and CFL for growing plants like baby tears as a carpet. Any information is appreciated :)
have a look at this thread. Take note that height and reflector type plays a key factor in par levels.

Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts

P.S. I'm also planning on adding DIY CO2 as mentioned before and I'm wondering if it will be necessary after putting these lights in my girlfriend's 10 gallon.

It's wouldn't hurt, I've done several 10g's with a 2 bulb cfl setup and if you aren't careful you can easily get into a too high light scenario where you really need co2 and regular fert dosing to maintain good growth and avoid algae issues.

Other things to help remedy this would be to reduce photoperiod, raising the fixture, or go with lower wattage bulbs.

Last edited:
jetajockey,

First off, I would like to say hello local! I'm right next to you in Crestview, FL about 40 minutes from Pensacola.

Anyway, did you see the link I posted to the Amazon item? I have also seen things advertised as "mini CFLs". I think this has to do with the size of the screw end and it may not fit in the incandescent hood... Please tell me I ordered the right size.

Also, would you recommend replacing my 15W T8 light with the two 14w CFLs? If so, will this light fixture work? I already have an Aqueon full deluxe hood and all I would be doing is swapping the light on top.

Aqueon Incandescent Strip Lights at PETCO

Following, keep updating us! I was thinking about replacing my light on my ten gallon too, but don't want to burn out my plants

jetajockey,

First off, I would like to say hello local! I'm right next to you in Crestview, FL about 40 minutes from Pensacola.

Anyway, did you see the link I posted to the Amazon item? I have also seen things advertised as "mini CFLs". I think this has to do with the size of the screw end and it may not fit in the incandescent hood... Please tell me I ordered the right size.

Also, would you recommend replacing my 15W T8 light with the two 14w CFLs? If so, will this light fixture work? I already have an Aqueon full deluxe hood and all I would be doing is swapping the light on top.

Aqueon Incandescent Strip Lights at PETCO

I'm familiar with crestview, often find myself passing by there when out looking for fish. I actually live in milton and work in pensacola.

Those lights look fine to me. I'd replace the t8 if you want more light, but the single t8 on it's own is probably enough to do very basic low light stuff like java ferns and anubias.

I have baby dwarf tears, which are not low light plants. My favorite fish stores are Bluewater Zoo in Niceville and Pet Land in Fort Walton Beach. Bluewater Zoo is amazing and their staff is always very helpful. They have tons of stuff if you can't find anything in Milton.

Are there any local aquarium clubs around here? I don't have any friends into aquariums and it would be great to have someone to talk to!

I have baby dwarf tears, which are not low light plants. My favorite fish stores are Bluewater Zoo in Niceville and Pet Land in Fort Walton Beach. Bluewater Zoo is amazing and their staff is always very helpful. They have tons of stuff if you can't find anything in Milton.

I'm (hopefully) opening a store out here next year sometime.

There isn't any fw clubs at all but there is a reef club.

I wonder how you would start a club and gain members... That would be pretty cool to start one! Also, having a fish store would be awesome! There aren't enough stores that properly inform their customers and offer them value. One tip if it does go through - display tanks, display tanks, display tanks. Showing customers what could be is great for ideas and sales. Not to mention it's fun and makes the store like prettier. If you need any employees, I'm always available! I'll turn 16 next year and as long as Milton isn't too far from Crestview, I'm always going to be available. Also, I design websites and could do one for your store if you want. Currently though, AquariumWatch.com is my fish site.

That article is a great apples to oranges comparison of light, in that it compares different types of light and how to evaluate them, but it lacks apples to apples comparison withing a light type. This is what separates Tek or ATI fixtures ($250-300) from Odyssea of FNI (~$70-50).

At the end of the day, light comes down to a simple question: What do you need? Do you need a high end light monster? Or do you need moderate amounts of light at budget friendly prices? Maybe something in the middle? It's a deeply personal choice in the end.

Back
Top Bottom