New Plants Mixed Results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xazax

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my 55G up and running a few weeks now. It is not terribly heavily planted. I put all my plants in at about the same time. Some seem to be doing well while others are dead or dying. I thought maybe someone with experience with these types may be able to understand why. I have tried to research and compare requirements/conditions but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

When I started, I used Eco-Complete substrate with sand over it. I used API Leaf Zone once per week and API liquid CO2 booster daily. I kept my tank around 80 Deg F, ammonia was 0.5-1.0, pH rather high at 8.2. When they started to die I found that some plants didn't like liquid CO2 so I went out and got a CO2 setup (about 5 days ago, hopefully not too late). I leave the lights on 12 hours per day. The lights are the White/Blue LED strips that came on my Marineland 55G hoods.

The plants that are thriving and growing: Cardinal Plant, Micro Sword, Moneywort, and Ferns.

Plants that are doing meh: Myrio Filigree, moss balls.

The plants that are dead or dying: Limnophila hippuroides, Anacharis Narrow Leaf, Sagittaria (Dwarf Subulata)

The limnophila and Sagittaria need a bit higher lighting than you have. Anacharis does poorly with liquid carbon so that's likely then problem there.

Thanks Mebbid! I had one piece of the anacharis that didn't get wiped out and it does seem to be getting better fast! Also, while most of the limnophila is dead it looks like the top of it is doing better every day. I may take some of the bunch out and see what happens. I think I will just dig out the sagittaria based on the lighting.

Back
Top Bottom