Newb with questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gregcuoz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, Ive spent hrs upon hrs researching fish and little to no time considering live plants. I guess Ill start now. I have a 120 gal tank, 4' Long x 2' deep. Play sand is the substrate. I have 2, 40 watt bulbs. Does that mean I have 40 watts or 80 watts of lighting (sorry if thats a totally stupid question)?
Im still working out my stock but I want to figure out my lighting too. Thanks

80 watts, and agreed--you need more even for low light plants to thrive. I have almost that much light on a 55 gallon, am planning on adding more, and I can only really grow low light plants.

They've pretty much stopped using watts at this point since wattage is not consistant across light bulbs anymore. Do you know what kind of light bulbs you have? Florescent? Compact florescent? T8's, T5's? T5HO's?

80 watts, and agreed--you need more even for low light plants to thrive. I have almost that much light on a 55 gallon, am planning on adding more, and I can only really grow low light plants.

They've pretty much stopped using watts at this point since wattage is not consistant across light bulbs anymore. Do you know what kind of light bulbs you have? Florescent? Compact florescent? T8's, T5's? T5HO's?

I think Im going silk plants

You may do ok with Java Fern and floating plants. Not trying to scare you out of it. :)

Back
Top Bottom