Newbie plant question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I dont want to plant anything in the substrate of my tank but, I would love something that would just float on top and dim out the light to make my setup look a little more natural. Is there any kind of floating plant that is low maintenance that my platy's and guppies might like?

I've seen HC float when people failed to root it. Although fish do tend to snack on it...

I highly recommend hornwort! Perfect for fry. It doesn't grow out of control like duckweed/frogbit. Its very easy to trim too. Good luck.

I'f I decided to plant a few things, would my aquarium gravel be suitable to plant them in? Also, will i need to use any special filtration and what not?

ccross said:
I'f I decided to plant a few things, would my aquarium gravel be suitable to plant them in? Also, will i need to use any special filtration and what not?

Tbh I've never had a problem just showing the roots into gravel. They don't grow fast but I've never had a plant die either. I highly recommend planting :)

Thats the nice thing about hornwort is it can also be planted. Plain gravel should work. You don't need any special filtration, maybe some fert. dosing. Thats it.

Thats the nice thing about hornwort is it can also be planted. Plain gravel should work. You don't need any special filtration, maybe some fert. dosing. Thats it.

Will the plants help cut down on how often I need to vacuum the gravel? I work long hours now and it gets neglected sometime.

No. It may help with tank parameters (ammonia, trites, trates) if there is enough plants, but just to answer your question, no. Nothing is better than good vacuuming. That can be cut down by less feeding, waste.

I've seen HC float when people failed to root it. Although fish do tend to snack on it...

Hi there. I don't mean to be ignorant, hehe. But the title of this thread includes the word 'newbie'. This would describe me as well. So I was wondering what the heck 'HC' is? I'm sure it's something I should be able to figure out, but I'm old and stoopid, and for the life of me I'm unable to determine what 'HC' is. If someone could elaborate it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

Anarachis is easy to grow and it reproduces well! Can be used both in substrate and as a floater! Grows fast and the frys love it!

WC's? lol.
Is that water changes? If so, I do those religiously. :)

I love my Amazon Frogbit. My Shrimp climb the roots. Duckweed is attractive but I have to net out a bunch weekly so my other plants get light.

Guppy Grass (Najas guadalupensis )
is easy also.

Imo/e Having more plants will mean that vacuming can be done less frequently as the plants will absorb any nitrites nitrates and ammonia but will never replace a wc. unless you have fish which require very clean water then you should be ok by less frequently i dont mean weeks im talking a couple of days to a week again depending on your fish

Augusta said:
Hi there. I don't mean to be ignorant, hehe. But the title of this thread includes the word 'newbie'. This would describe me as well. So I was wondering what the heck 'HC' is? I'm sure it's something I should be able to figure out, but I'm old and stoopid, and for the life of me I'm unable to determine what 'HC' is. If someone could elaborate it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

My bad I also very new to this. HC Cuba aka dwarf baby tears.

Back
Top Bottom