No more pearling from carpet. What could be the reason?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks a lot. No I didn't do any changes to water agitation etc. Everything is same except I started to dose low carbon then I use to put in start.

Then with lower liquid carbon supplement you just aren’t getting enough o2 saturation to see pearling. Remember the most co2 you will have in the tank without addition is 3ppm from the atmosphere.

And remember excel and the like are not actually liquid carbon. They are a different source that the plants uptake that up their energy so to say like actual co2 but in different form. So since you lowered their energy a bit that explains why not as much o2 saturation.

Good point on the increased surface movement. Since there is no CO2 gas being injected, there will be no loss. In fact there might be a slight gain. As CO2 is being used up via photosynthesis, a CO2 debt will occur in the water column. In order to maintain equilibrium, atmospheric CO2 will be absorbed into the water. The increased surface movement will facilitate this exchange.
As for the falsie pearling after a water change, I was under the impression that it may be caused by gasses, such as O2, being in higher concentrations while under pressure in the tap. After adding this water to the tank, O2 levels are temporarily higher than normal. O2 being released by the plants does not go into solution because it is already past the point of saturation.

Then with lower liquid carbon supplement you just aren’t getting enough o2 saturation to see pearling. Remember the most co2 you will have in the tank without addition is 3ppm from the atmosphere.
Thanks a lot. So now I am not concerned after talking to you guys. Most important for me is plants look healthy.

And remember excel and the like are not actually liquid carbon. They are a different source that the plants uptake that up their energy so to say like actual co2 but in different form. So since you lowered their energy a bit that explains why not as much o2 saturation.
Do you suggest I should increase dose or keep it lower if everything is going fine?

Do you suggest I should increase dose or keep it lower if everything is going fine?

Up to you as you did not seem to have issues when the doses was higher. One thing to keep in mind about dosing excel is algae can develope a tolerance for excel and the like. So if you find yourself with an algae outbreak you will need to up whatever your dose is. Typically double the amount. So if already low then should not be an issue. But if already high could be problematic for some inhabitants if you double the dose.

Up to you as you did not seem to have issues when the doses was higher. One thing to keep in mind about dosing excel is algae can develope a tolerance for excel and the like. So if you find yourself with an algae outbreak you will need to up whatever your dose is. Typically double the amount. So if already low then should not be an issue. But if already high could be problematic for some inhabitants if you double the dose.
Very well said and great point. I am thinking to keep the dosage low as my carpet and plants are not high demanding and I am not having any algar issues. My light is on for like 10+ hours. I am however thinking to add one small light but not sure. I will stick with low dose so as u said if in future I face algae problems I will just need to double or increase dose more but that would be tolerable for live stock.

Very well said and great point. I am thinking to keep the dosage low as my carpet and plants are not high demanding and I am not having any algar issues. My light is on for like 10+ hours. I am however thinking to add one small light but not sure. I will stick with low dose so as u said if in future I face algae problems I will just need to double or increase dose more but that would be tolerable for live stock.

Just be aware that the plants may look healthy now because they are running on carbon reserves.

It’s impossible to extrapolate just how much carbon is derived from liquid carbon. It’s not much as far as I am aware. More likely that the mild algaecide properties in the substance removes microorganisms from plant leaves which maximises nutrient uptake.

Just be aware that the plants may look healthy now because they are running on carbon reserves.

It’s impossible to extrapolate just how much carbon is derived from liquid carbon. It’s not much as far as I am aware. More likely that the mild algaecide properties in the substance removes microorganisms from plant leaves which maximises nutrient uptake.
Ok thanks a lot

I've Got Pearls !!!

Finally, my plants are pearling and I'm jazzed.
Don't ask me why they started producing those tiny bubbles...'cause I don't know / LOL :lol:

Finally, my plants are pearling and I'm jazzed.
Don't ask me why they started producing those tiny bubbles...'cause I don't know / LOL [emoji38]
Lol you made me laugh. Glad to know they are pearling very nice.

I noticed my carpet pearls after a water change so all theories you guys told me is true and I am now not worried about not having pearling

Back
Top Bottom