Odyssea or Coralife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Colwell

Aquarium Advice Activist
What should I get? I'm pretty much set on one or the other here's the Odyssea brand.

http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/aqualight-double-strip-p-2690.html

That will cost me $135 plus any duties if any. Since its shipped USPS I think might not be any.

Or should I get the Coralife?

http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/aqualight-double-strip-p-2690.html

That one will cost me about $175 and I can pick it up from a local supplier.

What do you guys think??

http://www.aquatraders.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=52305&CartID=1

Sorry for double link

The ballasts and reflectors on odyssea fixtures aren't all that great, so the coralife is higher quality. However, the odyssea fixtures still will probably get the job done, though.

What will be better for a 55gal I want the most light possible. And can I just take my glass canopys off and do rimless ? That's what I'll have to do if I get the odyssea

I'm using odysea on a 60 gallon which is much taller than the 55 and the plants grow kind of slow but they do grow. I'd say your fine with odysea as long as you plan on using co2.

I have 4 Coralife T5HO fixtures and 1 Coralife T5HO-Metal Halide Combo and I get great growth on plants. I don't use CO2 but do use liquid carbon daily. I have also found that using different bulbs makes a big difference also. I like the Geisemann bulbs the best and get the best color from my plants using them. Also with a 2 bulb T5HO fixture I found that using 1 "pink" plant bulb really makes the tank look dim. I've gone to using two 6000k-6700K bulbs in my 2 bulb fixtures and it makes a world of difference in the brightness we see when viewing our tanks.

So do you think I should get the Coralife and replace the bulbs than? I what light range would this be for a 55gal. Or should I get the odyssea 4bulb ho fixture and replace the bulbs? I want to have more than low light plants lol

I failed to mention ill be dosing pps pro as well as liquid carbon plus a DIY paintball co2

I used the bulbs that came with the Coralife fixture but changed them out way before a year was up as I was not happy with the light which was a 6700K and a pink plant bulb that came with the fixture. If anything I would at least change out the pink bulb.

A 4 bulb fixture over a 55 is alot of light! I'm not sure if it might be too much light honestly. With a 4 bulb fixture you would have to do the CO2/liquid carbon and use the dry ferts and probably only be able to run your lights 6 hours. I have the big T5HO/Metal Halide fixture over my 220g and I can only run the Halides 6 hours or I have an algae problem. You'd be walking a fine line with a 4 bulb fixture and would have to be really monitor things to keep your tank balanced between light/CO2/ferts. Also with such high light you would want to really plant your tank heavy. I recently 100% planted my 220g from about 85-90% planted. Also using alot of fast growing stem plants help in a high light tank. It also means more work trimming and tending the high light garden (although I love working in my tank). So you have to weigh your options and decide which route is best for you and how much time you want to put into the tank.

I used the bulbs that came with the Coralife fixture but changed them out way before a year was up as I was not happy with the light which was a 6700K and a pink plant bulb that came with the fixture. If anything I would at least change out the pink bulb.

A 4 bulb fixture over a 55 is alot of light! I'm not sure if it might be too much light honestly. With a 4 bulb fixture you would have to do the CO2/liquid carbon and use the dry ferts and probably only be able to run your lights 6 hours. I have the big T5HO/Metal Halide fixture over my 220g and I can only run the Halides 6 hours or I have an algae problem. You'd be walking a fine line with a 4 bulb fixture and would have to be really monitor things to keep your tank balanced between light/CO2/ferts. Also with such high light you would want to really plant your tank heavy. I recently 100% planted my 220g from about 85-90% planted. Also using alot of fast growing stem plants help in a high light tank. It also means more work trimming and tending the high light garden (although I love working in my tank). So you have to weigh your options and decide which route is best for you and how much time you want to put into the tank.

Thanks Rivercats! This post really helped me decide what I want to do with my setup. I don't really think ill have the time to keep my tank in perfect condition as far co2/liquid carbon/ferts. I think I'll go with the Coralife fixture and swap the pink bulb out for now. Will this system put me up medium lighting? I would hopefully like to update my soon to be plant list and hopefully get a little more colour in the list. Ill order the lights today my special plant order is goin out Monday or Tuesday, just had to figure out what lights I was getting first!

Thanks again!

IMO two lights with no pink plant bulb will give you medium light. You should really consider dosing liquid carbon as you will get alot better growth from your plants. What plants did you get? If you got anything like DHG or HC (dwarf baby tears) that lighting I don't feel will work for those types of carpeting plants.

IMO two lights with no pink plant bulb will give you medium light. You should really consider dosing liquid carbon as you will get alot better growth from your plants. What plants did you get? If you got anything like DHG or HC (dwarf baby tears) that lighting I don't feel will work for those types of carpeting plants.

I didn't put my order in yet for the plants I was actually going to run my list by you first if that's ok! I have to finish my list though first. I plan on dosing PPS-PRO I have all the ferts, also have liquid carbon and my DIY paintball co2 is almost complete. I have some time though as I won't get my plants until like the 18th because I'm putting in a special order. Anything else I need? I have root tabs already as well.

Sounds like you have everything and if you want you can PM me the plant list and we can talk about it.

Back
Top Bottom