odyssea T5 NO help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tcal01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a a 90g on Craigslist a while ago and this light came with it. It had a lot of mineral deposit all over it and the bulbs didn't work. The told me that the light fixture worked done though. Recently i went to hone depot and i found some t5 bulbs they sold there. So i bought them and put them in the fixture but it won't turn on. Is there anything i can do? Do i need to put the bulbs in a certain way?

Do you have a multimeter? Before wasting your time running around for bulbs I would make sure it works first, Craigslist is FULL of lies.

blert said:
Do you have a multimeter? Before wasting your time running around for bulbs I would make sure it works first, Craigslist is FULL of lies.

Definitely good advice to check it out with a multimeter. If you don't have one you could bring the ballast and wire to a Radio Shack and ask them to test it out for you. At least, they would do that at the ones around here. Ace Hardware would likely do it as well, but they're cheaply bought if not.

I do not have a multimeter. It au KS though because everything else he face me works just fine. Is a multimeter a tool that an electrician would have?

Tcal01 said:
I do not have a multimeter. It au KS though because everything else he face me works just fine. Is a multimeter a tool that an electrician would have?

Yes. You can also borrow tools from most AutoZones and Discount Auto Parts stores. Multimeters are pretty cheap (well, the cheap ones are ;) ). You can probably pick one up for ten bucks or so.

blert said:
Yes. You can also borrow tools from most AutoZones and Discount Auto Parts stores. Multimeters are pretty cheap (well, the cheap ones are ;) ). You can probably pick one up for ten bucks or so.

Alright i have a bunch of electrician friends lol.

Scott F said:
This being the case they should be able to fix it for free or nominal charge, usually alcohol ;)

I got a couple new ballasts this week from an electrical buddy of mine and I was already to pay for them.

Hahahaha. One that i know used to be in the hobby so maybe he'll be a little more knowledgeable

I'm confused on what you are wanting to use the multimeter for. Have you even tried putting T5HO bulbs in it yet? Do you know that it's broken?

And no, 28w is not a T5HO bulb.

aqua_chem said:
I'm confused on what you are wanting to use the multimeter for. Have you even tried putting T5HO bulbs in it yet? Do you know that it's broken?

And no, 28w is not a T5HO bulb.

IM not sure if it is broken. I put both 54 and 28w bulbs in to no avail. So IM going to see if it even works or of its something dumb in doing

If the contacts and/or wiring is/was all crusty then some Electrical Contact Cleaner can work wonders. It can be found at nearly any auto parts store. It evaporates quickly and does not leave a residue so nothing will drip into your tank after using it. Of course, I would find out of the ballasts are toast first.

Back
Top Bottom