Okay, do I have this right?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slroo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a standard length 55g, with just the 2 flourescent tubes that came with the setup. My substrate is pool filter sand, and I have resin rocks and driftwood-looking ornaments, and silk plants. I would like java moss to cover the fake rocks and fake driftwood. Can I buy some, tie it onto the rocks, and then just leave it to grow? Doesn't it have to have sand or SOMETHING for the roots to grow in? Sorry for the stupid question, but it just sound too easy to be true. :)

With only 40 Watts, you're lighting is going to be on the very low side. Java moss will likely grow very slowly, but should still survive.

So you think my lighting is only 40 watts? I have tried to check the tubes and can't find it posted anywhere, so that's good to know. Is there any type of ground cover that would do ok with my lighting as well?

slroo said:
I have a standard length 55g, with just the 2 flourescent tubes that came with the setup. My substrate is pool filter sand, and I have resin rocks and driftwood-looking ornaments, and silk plants. I would like java moss to cover the fake rocks and fake driftwood. Can I buy some, tie it onto the rocks, and then just leave it to grow? Doesn't it have to have sand or SOMETHING for the roots to grow in? Sorry for the stupid question, but it just sound too easy to be true. :)

No, java moss does not have roots. It just has little legs that attach itself to surfaces with. Just tie it to driftwood or rocks, and in a couple months time, will be attached to whatever you tied it to, and should be able to remove the string. Just remember to tie it on thinly. If you tie a thick clump on, the lower moss will die off and not attach and cause lots of problems.

Flourescent bulbs are 10 Watts per foot. So with the standard two bulbs each spanning half the length of a four foot tank you are looking at a total of 40 Watts.

Without upgrading your light it's going to be pretty hopeless to try to have a ground cover. Most ground cover plants require High Light, although some will do okay with medium light. With your current lighting your main options for plants are Java Moss, Java Fern, Anubias, Crypts, and Anacharis.

great! And is java moss what I would want to use in the foreground as well, or can you recommend something to go in the substrate that would work for my low lighting?

opps, sorry, didnt see that you had already replied

Back
Top Bottom