Peat moss in my filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocdfishguy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am planning to use peat moss to lower my ph a bit and from what I have researched it is a good way to keep water at a stable slightly acidic place. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this and have tips and brands of peat to purchase.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have pretty hard, alkaline water, so Im always trying to find ways to lower my pH safely. I just have the Fluval peat moss in a media bag inside a canister filter. This, along with some drift wood, gets me from a pH of 8.2 - 8.4 down to around 7.8. Not a huge change I know, but its something. I have to replace it about every 3 months.
But maybe your water is already starting at a lower pH, which means that its probably softer than mine as well. And if it is softer, then you'll probably get a larger impact.
I've also heard that almond leaves can help as well, but haven't tried that yet.

Yeah my PH is about 7.4 and kh of about 120. So when I alter the ph the kh buffering drives my ph back up. I think with peat or your idea of almond leaves I should slowly be able to get a steady 6. 8 or so. I am hoping to find a brand of peat from a nursery I can use. That fluval stuff is expensive!
Thanks for the tips

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom