Pico Cube RESTART

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puckhog429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So out of impulse About an hour ago I decided that I just didn't like the way my tank was. It is a 4.3 gallon 10 by 10 by 10 cube.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405747478.640207.jpg Heres a pic. Unfortunately when I had it setup I never took a picture of it :( So i had it dirted with a cap of pfs just like the rest of my tanks. This is the one of the biggest reasons I took it down, im getting sick of looking at white sand. I also just wasnt happy with the plants and just the way everything looked. I had crypt lucens, blyxa, and green myrio. For lighting I have a Finnex FugeRay-R (Im not really familiar with par so maybe some advice on that would be helpful). So what I really want is just some inspiration based on the lighting I have and a dark substrate ( even dirt capped with black sand might work). For the substrate I know a guy that would give me some ada soil ( if thats any good? Lol ). Also For fauna in the tank I am keeping a red halfmoon betta and rcs. For ferts I am doing excel. I want to keep the tank low to medium tech.
Thanks for the upcoming help!

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Just wanted to add that I have multiple pieces of mopani wood that I can use in this tank. But I want something different. That thought of something different brings up rocks. So if I use rocks what are some good looking kinds that are also cheap and readily available. Im thinking like iwagumi rocks, not river stones. Im also thinking about doing a carpet. Possibly a fissedens carpet? I like the look of staur. repens but am not sure about the requirements of it.
thanks

Just a note with rocks you want to consider the sort of rock you use. A rough rock can potentially tear the fins on your Betta.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So I decided that im going to go with a non dirt substrate. I was looking into fluval stratum and am pretty much sold on it. Is there any comments about it? Also are there any suggestions on a better substrate than this? I could get hold of some cheap ada aquasoil, would this be a better choice? Thanks

So I decided that im going to go with a non dirt substrate. I was looking into fluval stratum and am pretty much sold on it. Is there any comments about it? Also are there any suggestions on a better substrate than this? I could get hold of some cheap ada aquasoil, would this be a better choice? Thanks

If you have a chance to get cheap aqua soil by all means buy it. I would say it is one of the best pre made planted aquarium substrates. Hard to beat.

I will take your advice. When I watch takashi amano videos on youtube he puts additives in with it, they are powdery. Is this necessary. Also what would be the next best option other than aquasoil. I think Ive decided what I want to do for the scape as well. Will post a pic later.
Thanks

He may just be adding extra ferts to the soil to give the plants an extra boost.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok so I got my aquasoil in with about a quarter inch of power sand underneath it. I started tinkering with some scapes. Im pretty sure I finally have one figured out. (pics will be uploaded below from phone). For plants Im thinking staur repens, glosso capet ( let me know if this would be a viable carpet option with my light, excel, and pps pro (leafzone til i get the pps)), am undecided on a stem plant in the back left corner. For a carpet plant I also have narrow leaf chain sword in my sell tank but am afraid it will get too tall for the size tank. Has anyone used this in such a small tank? if glosso wouldn't work some other options for carpet plants would be great.
Thanks
Puck

Here are the pics
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407389028.752005.jpg
Im pretty set on the general layout but am thinking of finding a bigger stone for the back left.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407389112.409506.jpg
So I took my finnex off the tank thats holding the shrimp for this tank and 4 of the leds arent working! Gargh! I guess Im gonna give finnex an email. It should be fine for now though. Im gonna go ahead and make a plant layout and will post that soon.

Thats a bummer. Do you think narrow leaf chain sword would look good in such a small tank. I already have some in another tank thats growing pretty good just not sure if it will look right. I guess if i kept it trimmed down enough?
Thanks
Puck

Thats a bummer. Do you think narrow leaf chain sword would look good in such a small tank. I already have some in another tank thats growing pretty good just not sure if it will look right. I guess if i kept it trimmed down enough?
Thanks
Puck

I don't know much of anything about chain sword. You could still try the glosso but without pressurized co2 I think it would have trouble.

Still working on scapes. Hard to find time to set everything up with football practices everyday. I changed my plan a bit. I might just do a nlcs carpet with some stem plants. Possibly green myrio, ludwigia cuba, or ludwigia repens narrow leaf

Back
Top Bottom