Plant fertss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RaptorBro

Aquarium Advice Activist
I shop at Petco Petsmart and Petland any good ferts that i can buy from there?? Brand and exact name if u can please and is Watered Fert better then Dry? i also goT Bacopa which i herd does good in low lighting tanks any suggestions is great

Seachem Flourish is probably the best you'll find there. Dry ferts are cheaper than liquids. If you've got a low-light setup, there's probably little need to fertilize.

I dont know much about Petland but Petco and Petsmart sell Flourish, Potassium, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Iron. Maybe Excel too. These are all by Seachem. I highly recommend buying your ferts online if your only option right now is these LFS'. They are incredibly overpriced compared to websites like fosterandsmithaquatics.com

Why would you want to use bulk nutrients. Well here are some numbers.

• If you are dosing 60gallons of water with Flourish Potassium you would need 100 ml to get to 20 ppm.
  • If you are dosing 60 gallons of water with Flourish Phosphorus you would need to dose 48 ml to get to 1 ppm.
  • If you are dosing 60 gallons of water with Flourish Nitrogen you would need to dose 30 ml to get to 10 ppm.
  • Flourish Potassium is $6 mail order for 500 ml. So if you dose once a week that bottle will last you 5 weeks. Cost would $1.25 a week to dose potassium.
  • Flourish Phosphorus is $7.50 mail order for 500 ml. So if you dose once a week that bottle would last you 10 weeks. Cost would be 75¢ a week to dose Phosphorus.
  • Seachem Nitrogen is $7.50 mail order for 500 ml. So if you dose once a week that bottle will last you 16 weeks. Cost would be 47¢ a week to dose nitrates.
  • Total cost for one dose a week with Seachem $~2.75. Note there is no shipping factored in here and there are some rounding errors.

To dose the same tank with bulk nutrients.

• Nitrates 2¢ a dose.
  • Phosphates .2¢ a dose. Note that is 5 doses for a penny.
  • Total cost for one dose a week with dry nutrients 6.2¢

Seachem products cost 44X as much per week.
Fertilizing the Planted Tank | Nutrients | Rex's Guide to Planted Tanks

for a month or two of liquid ferts you can get a year plus of dry ferts for the same price. why pay for water?

Where is your link to the bulk nutrients you use? I have never seen these for sale anywhere. I dont want to buy from another country either. I buy from foster and smith. I have Seachem flourish, excel, NPK, and am about to order some Iron. The current bottles I have are about halfway after 3 months. Thats through all of my experimenting and and accidental overdoses. I use my ferts on a 15 gallon so I'm spending barely any money. If you can give me a link to a store in America that sells fertilizer that is cheaper than Seachems I'll check it out and possibly buy :)

Planted Aquarium Fertilizer - Home

I got mine from there... about $36 shipped for everything I need for years. KNO3, KH2PO4, Plantex csm+b. I also got Barrs GH Booster but I only use it every other week to three weeks. A pound of each. I have been dosing a 30g for over 6 months and have barely put a dent in any of the bags.

I bought from that site and it has saved me a ton of money. The fertz shipped to Alaska in only three days. I am a believer.

Plus my plants now look fantastic.

Interesting. Thx for the link. Now heres another question. How do you know how much to fertilize daily or weekly and what do you measure the fertilizer in? mL? Thanks!

Ahh I see now. I think I stayed away from these dry ferts because I didnt want to try to understand the chemical formulas but it is actually not that bad. I got your PM mgamer20o0 and it wont let me reply because I'm not a full member yet. I am for sure checking out what you sent me. I have ordered from the store before and will be ordering again this weekend :) Thx for the info guys and sorry for the thread hijack.

I got my dry ferts from MGamer. 1 lb each of KNO3, KH2PO4, and CSM+B (I don't need GH booster). I too have been dosing a 30G since August 1 and am just now starting to notice a difference in how full the container is.

I love the savings and DIY aspects of it (making your own dosing regimen for your tank). I am going to make root tabs soon to stop paying $20 for Seachem's :roll:

Back
Top Bottom