Planted 65 Progression- Seeking suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DTJB821

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, this is my first shot at keeping aquariums, and ive fallen in love with plants! I will drop a link at the bottom of a post showing a fully progression up to the current picture in the post. Any suggestions that yall may have would be very helpful in balancing this thing out.

Tank- 65 gallon tall, twin ac 70s, Finnex planted +, injected Co2, running a macro and a micro fert fix, along with Comp flourish.

Fish-Blushing Angels, Coreys, Black stripe tetras, Precox rainbows, a SAE, a pair of Ottos, a pair of honey gouramis, a few rams, and more snails than i can deal with.

Plants- Italian val ,bacopa, L repens, crypt bal, java moss for my tree, Christmas rock anchored to my wood and rocks, an anubia, and a few others i forgot the name of.

About 6 months of growth.
jVCAT0T.jpg

http://imgur.com/a/vlXbO

Fire away with an ideas!

Last edited:
Welcome :) I like it and seems your cats do as well!? Only thing I have found is snail shells don't handle the injected CO2 all that well over time.

I like it too! Only thing I would suggest is more moss on the rocks at the front and maybe some dwarf sag in the front as a carpet? Maybe some s repens or anubias nana around the base of the rocks? Especially where u can see the top rock resting on the other rock. I'd use the anubias to hide the gap u can see to make it look all 1 unit if u get me? I think it will look really nice once the middle bushes out more [emoji106]

Oh and move the Java fern in between the rocks more. Bring it forward maybe 2 inch?

I dont mind that one bit! They came in as hitchhikers, and bred out of control on me. I have a handful of assasins in there trying to control the numbers.

I like it too! Only thing I would suggest is more moss on the rocks at the front and maybe some dwarf sag in the front as a carpet? Maybe some s repens or anubias nana around the base of the rocks? Especially where u can see the top rock resting on the other rock. I'd use the anubias to hide the gap u can see to make it look all 1 unit if u get me? I think it will look really nice once the middle bushes out more [emoji106]

Oh and move the Java fern in between the rocks more. Bring it forward maybe 2 inch?

I ordered some dwarf sag initially, but it's been the only thing that actually failed to grow for me. I think with the tank being 24 inches deep, the light struggles to get to the floor. I'm planning on picking up a ray 2 to supplement my planted plus, then try a carpet again. My previous attempts see all the things I try and carpet with grow straight up towards the light.

I ordered some dwarf sag initially, but it's been the only thing that actually failed to grow for me. I think with the tank being 24 inches deep, the light struggles to get to the floor. I'm planning on picking up a ray 2 to supplement my planted plus, then try a carpet again. My previous attempts see all the things I try and carpet with grow straight up towards the light.

Yea I was wondering if a planted plus would be enough for your depth. Sounds like you know what your doing [emoji106] carpet will certainly add a really nice touch and make the tank look fuller :)

Yea I was wondering if a planted plus would be enough for your depth. Sounds like you know what your doing [emoji106] carpet will certainly add a really nice touch and make the tank look fuller :)
Agree with depth issue that's why I stick to shorter tanks, love the tall ones looks though. Can't afford 2 lights for every tank or a high $light. Lol

I know just enough to get myself into trouble! This has been a fun learning experience. I love the plants so much it actually inspired me to grow a garden outside and branch out into veggies and vines.

My moss in my "tree" is growing hair algae. Think it's just too long of a photo period? 9 hours has been working up until now, when all of the sudden it's started out of the blue

Agree with depth issue that's why I stick to shorter tanks, love the tall ones looks though. Can't afford 2 lights for every tank or a high $light. Lol

I had no idea when I picked up the first tank I would fall in love with the hobby like I did. Then I saw the 65 tall pop up at the big box LFS on an amazing deal(125 bucks with the stand) and I jumped on it not knowing I was going to plant it. In retrospect, I should have went long instead of tall.

Back
Top Bottom