Help on Planted Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also, any suggestions on power heads!? I would like a size recommendation in gph and then a brand please!

Would this light be good for a temporary setup until I get the fluval?? That way I can spend the cash on other things or should I just got for the fluval now?

Yes, as long as you clean the reflectors in the housing and buy some new bulbs. I would go 2 x 6700K (one for each side of the tank) and 2 x either rossette or 5000K, the 3000k - 5000k bulbs are PAR monsters. The rossette bulbs are pink and offer some red spectrum for the plants. Up to you, but if you plan on using that light you'll need proper bulbs. Try running no lid on the tank too, this way the hard water deposits will not block any light trying to get through glass. I always run an open top, so far no jumpers long term. I would rather see the money put towards a good regulator and a 5+ pound tank.... but that is just what I would do.

For circulation I would look into 2 sun sun canisters that will push 7-10x the water volume, so 350-500 gallons per hour each. Run a griggz reactor inline with one filter and a 300w heater inline with the other, you may possibly need 2 heaters though.....

https://www.amazon.com/SunSun-HW704...id=1525262172&sr=8-6&keywords=sunsun+canister

or

https://www.amazon.com/SunSun-HW704...id=1525262172&sr=8-6&keywords=sunsun+canister

Is black sand really the way to go? Or should I spend the extra money on more nutrient rich substrate!? I’m going to buy it in the next couple of days and want to get it right

Is black sand really the way to go? Or should I spend the extra money on more nutrient rich substrate!? I’m going to buy it in the next couple of days and want to get it right

The only nutrient rich substrates are dirted tanks, calcined clay substrates that you pre charge, or "ADA aqua soil" type substrates. Which did you have in mind? Eventually they all run out of nutrients and rely on water column and root tabs to replenish them

Most plants will utilize water column fertilizers, and if need be you can supplement with some DIY root tabs.

Back
Top Bottom