Planted Goldfish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldsGuy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello All
Do you keep Golds yet also like the look of a planted tank yet struggle to keep one that's as beautiful as most planted you see due to the nature of golds to eat plants and/or be "destructive" with your intentions to have nice plants. Tell us your stories and share secrets. I have Comets which tend to be not cooperating with my efforts to give them a beautiful home. Lol

image-3434848175.jpg

My recent attempts at using small glass containers.

Attachments

• image-1523271454.jpg
    image-1523271454.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 102
  • image-3648920645.jpg
    image-3648920645.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 108
  • image-620070977.jpg
    image-620070977.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 271
  • image-1355585850.jpg
    image-1355585850.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 123
Just added a new background. More pics on profile.

Attachments

• image-3404841225.jpg
    image-3404841225.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 115
  • image-178405411.jpg
    image-178405411.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 110
Gorgeous tanks. I personally gave up on live plants about a year ago. They kept eating the roots which killed them off. I gave up just have silk plants now.

My Fish Babies. said:
Gorgeous tanks. I personally gave up on live plants about a year ago. They kept eating the roots which killed them off. I gave up just have silk plants now.

Thanks. I'm new to the hobby as I got the comets at a local fair. I enjoy growing the plants as well as the fish. I'm sure as they get bigger it will be a losing battle. Although I've done research on trying to select plants that they tend to not eat or want.

Well research has told me that Anubias, Elodea , Crinum and Java moss typically do best with goldfish. They are not supposed to be as tasty to them. I tried the Java plants for about six months and gave up they kept dying off due to the root damage I think. I have had my three fancies for close to five years now. I am working on a fish less cycle in a 55 gallon for them. I am no expert have learned through trial and error for the most part. AA has taught me the most since joining. Are you worried at all about your comets getting too big for your 55 I know they can reach up to 14 inches and often live in ponds? Do you have down the road plans?

My Fish Babies. said:
Well research has told me that Anubias, Elodea , Crinum and Java moss typically do best with goldfish. They are not supposed to be as tasty to them. I tried the Java plants for about six months and gave up they kept dying off due to the root damage I think. I have had my three fancies for close to five years now. I am working on a fish less cycle in a 55 gallon for them. I am no expert have learned through trial and error for the most part. AA has taught me the most since joining. Are you worried at all about your comets getting too big for your 55 I know they can reach up to 14 inches and often live in ponds? Do you have down the road plans?

I have Anubis, java ferns and hortwort mostly. I had anacaris which they eat and hopefully leave the others alone. I'm waiting to update my lighting to plant more.

Well comets do get larger I know but average eight inches. I do plan on updating to a 125! Gallon probably next year when they get bigger. Just recently updated to a Fluval FX5 canister. I'll get a second with the bigger tank.

That should suffice once I get that next year.

I love the comets. Very personable. Enjoy watching them dart around and they usually come to the walls of the tank when they see me. They'll follow me.

image-3098399176.jpg

I've had success with plants in my goldfish tank. I've got java ferns, anubias, swords, elodea and a large lilly. I feed my guys cooked vege a few times a week and it seems to keep them from picking at the plants too much.

jetajockey said:
I have an amazon sword in my goldfish tank and so far it's been o.k., it's only been a few weeks though.

Yeah I also recently added an Indian Red to my tank. It's a sword. They bothered it at first but not lately.

Mumma.of.two said:
I've had success with plants in my goldfish tank. I've got java ferns, anubias, swords, elodea and a large lilly. I feed my guys cooked vege a few times a week and it seems to keep them from picking at the plants too much.

Hey!! See your post all the time ;)
I also feed veggies too weekly. I also started feeding twice daily as they are much bigger and growing.

Mumma.of.two said:

Awesome tank btw

My Fish Babies. said:
Ahhh very cool.....I can tell you take great care of them. Carnival fish often have quite an ill fated life. Yours were lucky you took them home.

Lol
Yeah friends have said those fish hit the lottery. Now it's my turn lol

Mumma.of.two said:

Do you add any ferts or co2?

Both my tanks are pretty well planted. Wisteria is an easy one to grow that they dont seem to bother (in addition to anubias, ferns, swords, etc). Ill see if i can figure out how to load pics from my cell. They are well fed with lots veggies so they do not bother anything. @Ryukins- I dose ferts & excel 2-3x a week. CO2 and goldies do not mix well because they have such high oxygen needs. :)

I am currently dosing flourish once a week. Maybe I will try some excel as well. I recently put in a mesh with hc cuba but I used staples to keep mesh together. Now I am noticing that the staples are starting to rust:(

Will the rust harm my fish? How should I plant the HC? Directly into the gravel? I would like to grow a carpet of this stuff but don't want the goldfish to dig it up.

Don't know if this is going to work because I haven't figured out this new cell yet.....

Attachments

• image-3469966175.jpg
    image-3469966175.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3322078020.jpg
    image-3322078020.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 96
Mama do you leave your tank open top and run air stones? I am debating if that might be good or bad for plants.

Back
Top Bottom