Planted Goldfish Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ryukins said:
Mama do you leave your tank open top and run air stones? I am debating if that might be good or bad for plants.

I have an air stone as goldfish have high oxygen needs. They also produce a lot of co2 so plants should have plenty. Plants also utilize carbon in the bicarbonates in the water which is why PWCs are also essential in a planted tank. Co2 injection can kill the fish if not monitored closely.

ryukins said:
Mama do you leave your tank open top and run air stones? I am debating if that might be good or bad for plants.

All I have is the canister spray bar. It's about 5-6 inches underwater. I don't have much surface agitation even though I probably should. I've got full glass tops on the tank. Too many sticky little fingers in my house lol.

I have an air stone as goldfish have high oxygen needs. They also produce a lot of co2 so plants should have plenty. Plants also utilize carbon in the bicarbonates in the water which is why PWCs are also essential in a planted tank. Co2 injection can kill the fish if not monitored closely.

CO2 production by fish is minuscule compared to the actual needs of the plants. There are only a few species of plants that can use bicarbonates, most noticeably valisineria sp., but almost all of them will use CO2.

CO2 is like the gun of the aquarium world. CO2 doesn't kill fish, unprepared and knowledgeable fishkeepers kill fish.

I wouldn't think that oxygen would be an issue if you have a properly sized tank and good surface agitation (as a good planted tank should).

aqua_chem said:
CO2 production by fish is minuscule compared to the actual needs of the plants. There are only a few species of plants that can use bicarbonates, most noticeably valisineria sp., but almost all of them will use CO2.

CO2 is like the gun of the aquarium world. CO2 doesn't kill fish, unprepared and knowledgeable fishkeepers kill fish.

I wouldn't think that oxygen would be an issue if you have a properly sized tank and good surface agitation (as a good planted tank should).

From what I've read regarding goldfish is that they actually produce high amounts if co2. Of course actual usable and expired co2 depends in number of golds and size tank. Also most plants used in goldfish tanks tend to be lower to moderate light which require less co2 than a high light plant.

The HC you're using is going to want good light and CO2 to do well. Your goldfish are also probably going to think it's delicious, especially if they're rooters.

I have Goldfish in a CO2 injected tank. Does not seem to bother Mordecai and Rigby at all.

I also know that Marineland is coming out with a FW planted LED light in May. Looking forward to that as I'm using standard LEDs which came with tank although the plants grow some are leggy.
Also LEDs will not heat the water as much.

Here are pics of my planted comet goldfish tank with new background. Didn't like the blue.

Attachments

• image-3228196377.jpg
    image-3228196377.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 86
  • image-4205372035.jpg
    image-4205372035.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 69
  • image-345371459.jpg
    image-345371459.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 67
  • image-3059294895.jpg
    image-3059294895.jpg