Planted tank gravel vac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustinKScott

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a playsand/floramax bottom, with large gravel near the filter as the sand get sucked up.

Do I need to be vacuuming the bottom during water changes? I've read planted tanks should not be vac'd.

Also, I have bubbles coming out of my sand; more so during water changes than anytime else. What is that?

180gall, (apparently high light), 1liter co2 diy.

It won't hurt to vac any loose food or waste off the surface of your gravel in a planted tank.

What kind of sand are you using? It sounds like you might have pockets of anaerobic bacteria building up in your sand, which happen if it gets too compacted.

Running 1 liter of DIY CO2 on a 180 gallon tank is an exercise in futility, fwiw. I really doubt you would see any noticeable rise in CO2 level with that on a tank that size.

I have a small army of bamboo shrimp and cory cats who seem to keep most of the poo and food picked up. Any deposits don't seem to stay around for long. So is there a need for me to vac? Its doable, but quite troublesome.

Kids playsand; what is anaerobic bacteria?

(We are discussing the 1liter elsewhere; I know it's not enough.)

If you aren't seeing any mess on the sand/gravel, you probably don't need to worry about vac'ing it. I have tanks that you can hardly get to the substrate anyway because they are so heavily planted... they do ok.

Kids playsand... hmm anaerobic bacteria is bacteria that can live/feed/reproduce without the need for oxygen. Playsand can compact in ways that allow for pockets to form where this bacteria can form. They let off gas as a waste, and that could be what you are seeing. Try stirring the sand up some to eliminate those pockets. Snails can help as they will burrow in the sand and help turn it over... Smell the bubbles as they float up... if they smell like rotten eggs or sulfer, that is what is going on.

They are good for helping with nitrate... as they turn it in to a gas which is harmless once it reaches oxygenated water... but smells nasty. I agree, MTS would probably be a good idea to stop that. And, if you don't see waste, no need to vac IMO.

Seems like you guys nailed it. Lfs doesnt have trumpet snails. Where can i find some? Anyone want to donate? ;)

Back
Top Bottom