Plants growing - need to share!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am super excited right now!! I just compared a pic of my newly planted tank with one from just a couple of weeks ago and can already see growth!! This is very exciting for a first time planter like me!!

I just felt the need to share my excitement with people who will understand!

And thank you to everyone who's helped me the last few weeks, I really appreciate it.

Sally

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402355921.450346.jpg

Here..... Nothing spectacular but I am excited!! I need to get more vals as I planted them and covered the crowns so they are in a bad state. Same with the micro swords. I know now though and will get it right next time. Also I am going to add more to the foreground and I want to find some driftwood.

Are you going to dose ferts? What light do you have and how many hours on? What's the tank stock like? What look of scape are you going for?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are you going to dose ferts? What light do you have and how many hours on? What's the tank stock like? What look of scape are you going for?

Fish: mollies, neon tetras, guppies, cories, dwarf gouramis, sword tail, killifish

I have a 48" T5HO fixture with 2x54w bulbs (6,500 and 10k), plus the old lights are still there which I think are 2x17w each so 142w total. The tank is a 60g long so 24" deep. I think that's around 35-40 PAR. I have the lights set for 8-9 hours a day.

Re ferts - good question. I believe my light is on the high end of low, or the low end of medium light so based on what I've researched it seems like it's borderline if I need it or not. I was going to see how things go and act accordingly. That said, right now I have Flourish Comp (2 times a week) and Excel (every other day). Plus I recently bought Flourish Potassium as the hygros were getting brown spots going into holes which I thought might be a deficiency although I also saw someone say it might just be them adapting to new water.

So re ferts - all advice welcome!! If it looks like I do need to keep going with what I'm doing and even add more macros then I will probably try and get my head around moving over to dry ferts and doing either PPS Pro of EI.

Re the look - I am trying for natural and I'd like it to end up really lush and heavily planted but not sure how much you can do that low tech. I wish I hadn't bought that standard petco driftwood as I love when people have have a big piece of driftwood that goes the length of the tank. That said I'm still going to try and add one if I can find a good one.

I'd really like to get a carpet in the foreground, but again not sure if that's possible with my lighting.

Any suggestions very welcome!!

Ok this is too funny. After your question yesterday about what type of scape I like I went to the planted tank forum to look for a picture I'd seen of a tank with a big piece of driftwood that I liked that I was going to show you. Searched for about 15 mins but gave up. Today I saw another post from you and guess what........it was your tank I was looking for!!!! Spooky.

Back
Top Bottom