Plants keep uprooting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys. Last week I noticed my plants were all growing at the top of the water, none of them were rooted in the gravel. I used some of those flexible plant weights and tucked them into the gravel with some fresh root tabs...but a few days later, one plant came out of the weight and is now floating on top, and another one is clearly getting close to breaking free. Any idea why this is happening?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1442769216176.jpg
    1442769216176.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 1442769247150.jpg
    1442769247150.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 122
Oh, should probably mention it's water wisteria and water sprite that I'm having issues with. I have 2 aquatic life T5 HO 6000k, 24 watt bulbs and no co2, just excel added every day

It's really hard to plant stem plants in my opinion. I use sand and if the plant won't stay in the sand then I just let it float. This is not always the most attractive way to aquascape. Your gravel looks kinda big from the pictures, have you considered trying sand or eco complete? Also maybe more than one plant weight until the plants get rooted. Once they had a good amount of roots they should pretty much stay in place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Try using superglue to attach them to rocks. The superglue is safe to fish once it cures. Maybe the oxygen the plants put out make it float to the top.

Yeah when I set up the tank I didn't know anything about live plants so I just picked some giant gravel...wish I had done eco complete. I thought the root tabs would help but they haven't made much of an impact! I'll try using double weights...never thought of superglue. You're sure it's 100% safe for the fish?

Yeah when I set up the tank I didn't know anything about live plants so I just picked some giant gravel...wish I had done eco complete. I thought the root tabs would help but they haven't made much of an impact! I'll try using double weights...never thought of superglue. You're sure it's 100% safe for the fish?

Yes I think the substrate is 90% of the issue. The large pebbles don't allow the roots to take hold of anything and the root tabs will most likely be leaching out out into the overlying water.

To be honest, it also looks as though the bottom of the stems have rotted which would definitely account for the whole stem uprooting. Sounds like a bit of a pain but personally I would change the gravel.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 to caliban. I would change out that gravel with sand in a heart beat.

Sand can be bought very cheaply. Black diamond blasting sand from Tractor supply co is about $12 for a 50lb bag. It's a bit of a pain to wash but its a great looking black substrate. Lowes sells pool filter sand which is a nice light brown color and is about $10 per 50 lbs. It takes about 75 lbs for a 55g tank.

I'm so intimidated by the thought of changing the substrate! I've considered it before because I also just dont have enough gravel...its less than an inch deep in most places. I'm most nervous about stressing the fish. Have you guys done it before? How long do you usually have the fish out of the tank for?

I'm so intimidated by the thought of changing the substrate! I've considered it before because I also just dont have enough gravel...its less than an inch deep in most places. I'm most nervous about stressing the fish. Have you guys done it before? How long do you usually have the fish out of the tank for?

I've done it 4 or 5 times and it's really not a big deal. Just get a rubbermaid tote, fill it with tank water and then move all the fish into it. It helps to run a bubbler and heater in the tote.

For me, it's a 3 - 5 hour process including replanting plants but it doesn't really matter how long it takes you if you utilize the rubbermaid totes. When you're done with all of that just reacclimate the fish as if you had just bought them and then readd them to the tank. I like to use pitchers I got from the dollar store for this that can hang on the edge of the tank.

I'll try using double weights...never thought of superglue. You're sure it's 100% safe for the fish?

Yep, I've used it to attack my moss to rocks with no problems. In fact, cyanoacrylate is used to seal wounds. It cures in contact with water, so after dabbing some on my plants, I soak in in a separate bucket of water for a bit to make sure the bond is solid.

Sent by messenger hawk.

Ok, I think I'll probably do it then. Will the tank re-cycle if I put all new water and gravel in it? I've had the filter for over a year

Ok, I think I'll probably do it then. Will the tank re-cycle if I put all new water and gravel in it? I've had the filter for over a year

No, it won't. There might be a mini cycle, but just check the ammonia daily for a 3 days or so.

Sand is the way to go for sure. I've got small gravel left in just one of my.... 8 tanks now.(Had to count) And that will be swapped out someday for sure.

I go down to Home Depot and buy Quickcrete Pool Filter sand. It's roughly $5 for a 50lb bag. It's already clean and ready to go. Clouds for maybe half an hour after adding water, but then clears right up. All my plants root right into it really well. I tend to put in around 3+ inches across the tank. Bit deeper in the back. Then keep a few Cory cats in there to keep it loose and clean.

Couple hours work will be worth every minute. Trust me. :)

Sand bruh...

I've done a sand changeout a couple times and Mebbid nailed it.

Also I didn't see it mentioned but root tabs didn't help because the 2 plants you listed are not primarily root feeders.

Caleb

Sorry guys I just now saw these replies....Blackin- I have 5 Kuhlis so they should do plenty of sand loosening!
Caleb- I dont know why I thought they were root feeders, thanks.

Oh, should probably mention it's water wisteria and water sprite that I'm having issues with. I have 2 aquatic life T5 HO 6000k, 24 watt bulbs and no co2, just excel added every day

Also I didn't see it mentioned but root tabs didn't help because the 2 plants you listed are not primarily root feeders.

Caleb

Wisteria is a heavy root feeder, and I think water sprite is too. Both need root tabs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wisteria is a heavy root feeder, and I think water sprite is too. Both need root tabs.

:confused: I've never used root tabs for either and I have a whole garden of water Sprite right now in the 75g...

I wouldn't call it a heavy feeder. Crypts and swords are "heavy" root feeders.

Caleb

Crypts, swords, s. Repens, blyxa japonica, and wisteria are the "heavy" root feeders I know of.
Wisteria puts down a serious root system that would rival my 2ft amazon sword.

Hi. Be careful taking out your rocks. I had huge rocks in my tank and I started removing the rocks BEFORE taking the fish out. What I didn't realize was that tons of stuff gets trapped inside those rocks and it can become poisonous. I lost about 4 fish (really hardy fish-africans). I SHOULD have taken out the fish before removing any of the rocks. :banghead: I came running to all these forums too late. Hope it goes well.

Hi. Be careful taking out your rocks. I had huge rocks in my tank and I started removing the rocks BEFORE taking the fish out. What I didn't realize was that tons of stuff gets trapped inside those rocks and it can become poisonous. I lost about 4 fish (really hardy fish-africans). I SHOULD have taken out the fish before removing any of the rocks. :banghead: I came running to all these forums too late. Hope it goes well.

Oh I'm definitely taking the fish out before I start taking the gravel out. I have a ton of detritus in my gravel, I see it every time I vacuum during wc's! Thanks for the heads up though. I just have to get a big Rubbermaid tub to put them in while I do everything.

Back
Top Bottom