Platys Eating My Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPARKTX

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20g planted tank with three Red Wag Platys, who seem to be eating my plants (2 - 3 different varieties). I can see the pecking on leaves, and there appear to be big chunks of leaves missing. Is that normal? Does that need I need to feed them more? I don't want to overfeed.

I'd suspect that is normal and probably wouldn't feed any extra (the roughage is great for them). Sadly not so great for your plants - I find I either have to grow plants faster than the fish can eat or get tougher ones that they don't like so much. Any algae on plants I find is considered fair game to keeping plants healthy does help.

But I feel your pain. At one stage I was just buying some plants each week hoping the more expensive ones would be left alone.

I've had 10-12 platys and 4-6 swordtails in my 75gallon planted tank for over 1 1/2 yrs. and have never noticed them eating plants just nibbling on the algae, but I'm not positive they won't and trust the opinion that they do. I do suffer some plant losses, but my wife helps with the trimming and has her own tank (55gal guppy mansion with 9yr old Daughter) so plants get moved a lot.

I have found wisteria to be a good choice for this reason, grows fast and provides lots of cover, just keep replanting the cuttings. Maybe they'll leave your other plants alone somewhat then.

Back
Top Bottom